2.6K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Tip: Leave Them Alone

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

After reviewing my help log from assisting others with their Adwords accounts over the past year, I see a pattern with those new to Adwords.

What's the pattern? They mess with their Adwords accounts far too often!

You should check in on your accounts daily, or at least every few days (we aim for 1-2 times daily), however, you don't need to make changes unless something is in need of change, such as keyword bids. Google Adwords actually needs time to process your changes and time to allow the new adjustments to perform. Further, Google Adwords needs to feel "confident in your account actions," which it can only do if you give them a chance to catch up with you.

Think of your accounts as sleeping babies. You want to peak in on them often but if they are happily cooing or peacefully resting... leave them alone. 

Happy Friday!

- James

overview-costs-bg.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Adwords Tip: Leave Them Alone

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Interesting thought... We do make changes daily, but they are small incremental changes. I agree that tests and bigger changes need time to bake.

Re: Google Adwords Tip: Leave Them Alone

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Absolutely, @Shanee_Kirk. Small changes are needed... those tweaks can be great. 

However, ripping things apart 3-4 times a week and never letting things catch up is not the right way to go, either.

I would add that with your skillset and longevity with Adwords, Google understands you and is "confident in your account actions" and therefore your changes are more predictable, concise and warranted. I am pretty sure you are not simply gutting accounts or completely changing out keywords every 48 hours... just to see what happens, lol.

Members new to Adwords that aren't sure about things will take drastic actions, often, which is where this advice is aimed and will help.

Thanks for your reply... have a great weekend! Robot Happy

James