Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

E-Commerce Tracking for monthly recurring payments/donations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there,

We have implemented an e-commerce tracking code for a product where people can either do a one time payment or a monthly payment. Currently our e-commerce code for a monthly payment contains the following:

'id': '2f5d50c8aa4862054376b1c4ff25aec28f496a7a',
'affiliation': '',
'revenue': '5',
'shipping':'',
'tax':''
});
ga('ecommerce:addItem', {
'id': '2f5d50c8aa4862054376b1c4ff25aec28f496a7a',
'name': 'abonnement',
'sku': 'multiple_12',
'category': 'mandate',
'price': '60',
'quantity': '1'
});
ga('ecommerce:send');
});

FYI: It is correct that taxes and shipping are not calculated/included in the script.

In our analytics account we have "revenue" and "product revenue". With this code the "product revenue" shown/calculated is the mandate payment x 12 (thus monthly) whereas the "revenue" (total revenue of all) the mandate payment is calculated only x 1.

Can someone please let me know if the code is correct? I cannot find anything online on how to handle e-commerce codes when it concerns monthly payments.

And: What if we change the 'price' in the e-commerce code to x1 thus 5 (instead of the x12=60) in order to have a more coherent google analytics, what would the consequences be? 

Hope this is clear.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: E-Commerce Tracking for monthly recurring payments/donations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Samantha R is the total price paid by the customer different between the one-off and the monthly payments?  If not, I'd argue that it's not actually necessary to record them differently (at least from an Analytics point of view).  While it might be nice to know that your revenue on any given month is going to include a percentage of "lesser" payments from those paying monthly, Analytics can't actually show this since regardless of the payment type, GA can only show the one ecommerce transaction.  So, rather than complicating matters by having two different values and then calculating against one of them, why not simply have one single value?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jon,

Thanks for your reply!

There is a difference in total price between one-off payments and monthly payments. It's not that person A pays 50 euro for product X in one time and person B pays 50 euro in the course of 12 months.
One is a one time donation and the other is a monthly donation.

Thus, best to keep the e-commerce settings as it is, in order to be able to differentiate between monthly revenue and yearly revenue, do I understand that correctly? What would you advise?

Cheers,

Samantha

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Samantha R if it were me, I'd simply record them as two different full value transactions, i.e. one at $50 (single payment) and one at $60 ($5 x 12, or whatever).  I wouldn't record the individual monthly payment.

At the end of the day, unless you have a high failure rate for monthly payments, all you're really interested in is the bottom line revenue.  While from a business point of view it's important that you have a handle on cashflow, GA can't help with that because it can only record the one transaction.  So, I'd use GA to record the "big picture" in terms of sign-ups and total revenue and other software to track cashflow and actual monthly income.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Clear, thanks a lot!!!!! Very much appreciated!