Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Metric Values of Two Different Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I work at a website that looks at the pageviews associated with authors and editors (two separate dimensions). For reporting purposes, how can I combine the pageviews for both authors and editors into one report?

I tried using RegEx but was unsuccessful. Essentially if they are an author and an editor, I want to see their combined associated pageview. If they are only an author, then just the pageviews associated with that dimension. And if they are just an editor, then just the pageviews associated with that dimension.

Any help?

Thank you!

Jen

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Combining Metric Values of Two Different Dimensions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer C,

Which report are you looking to amend?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Combining Metric Values of Two Different Dimensions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Julia_Muller
There is no existing report. I'd like to create a custom report that combines two separate dimensions and shows aggregated metrics for those two dimensions.

Thanks!
Jen

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer C,

I just saw your reply from July come through in notification feed. There seems to be a glitch in the system, unless you just edited it. In which case this would mean that I missed it back in July. So, first of all my apologies for the late response. 

Secondly, I think Google Analytics experts may be a lot more helpful to you here. My expertise is in AdWords. So, I am tagging @webfield and @Dave_Davis - two Google Analytics experts in this community. They may be able to help much faster.

If they can't get to you in time, I'll ask others for help. Just tag me.

Hope this helps!

Julia

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Julia & Jen,

if the question is still open: If authors and editors are existing custom dimensions it will be straightforward to set up a flat-table custom report with these two dimensions side by side and the resulting data as described.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi, Christoph! It appears that Jen hasn't come back to review the answers on the thread. Granted, this thread had a few delayed responses. Thanks for answering anyway! Today I learned something Smiley Happy

Julia Muller,