4K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign-Level RLSA and Search Audiences

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I was incredibly excited when Remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA) first arrived on the AdWords scene back in 2013. My very first RLSA campaigns saw success and I have continued to use them ever since. There was only one drawback for me: RLSA could only be applied at an ad group level, meaning that the construction and management side of things was significantly more extensive. Times have changed though, and I have some great news to share with you!

The Search Audience team have provided us with the new capability of utilizing RLSA, Customer Match, and all search audiences at the campaign level, in addition to the ongoing ad group-level capabilities. While this update might quickly bring possibilities to mind for your own accounts, here are some of the main benefits of applying audiences at campaign level:

Easier Management - This helps to cut down number of bid modifiers by 99% in most accounts.

More Data - Best Practices suggest setting bid adjustments based on larger sample sizes than a single ad group.

Criteria Limits - For large accounts, this significantly reduces the number of targeting criteria being used.

Focus on Testing New Audiences - Spend less time micromanaging bids on RLSA and more time expanding audience coverage!

You’ll be happy to hear that no action is required and no migration is necessary for this update. Your existing campaigns will continue to utilize ad group level settings, unless you determine that campaign-level positive targeting will provide a long-term performance improvement and reduce overall management. This is easy enough to change as seen in the screenshot below.

RLSA.png

I’m interested to hear your own opinions and feedback regarding this update!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I often find that applying these sort of features at the highest level can often lead to poorer results than applying them at a lower level.

I welcome the fact that they can be applied now at campaign level, but often the modifier for an audience should be different depending on the ad group you are targeting it to.

As an example, if someone is looking for your brand and you have a Brand campaign, then you can probably apply a lower bid increase than if it was a generic, or product campaign.

I see this being executed the worst when looking at Sitelinks, some advertisers sprinkle them like confetti, rather than thinking of the user and what would constitute a good user experience were sitelinks to appear.

Re: Campaign-Level RLSA and Search Audiences

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Good input @Jim Banks.

I do think it really depends on the campaign(s) and account manager(s) in question. I agree that a granular approach will often provide better results, but there will be circumstances where an account manager or business simply doesn't have the scope to invest time into this particular area.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @ScottyD I struggle when people don't have the time to invest.

Ultimately, everything we do as advertisers and agencies is for the benefit of the end users.

Our reward from Google if we do a good job for the end user is higher quality score, higher CTR, lower bounce rate and lower CPC versus the advertisers who don't do this so well.

It's always been about the hard yards and finding ways to do those tasks that need to be done through automation and understanding of the rules of engagement.

This new feature enables us to apply things quicker, but that doesn't make the quicker way the right way.

Re: Campaign-Level RLSA and Search Audiences

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I totally agree with you once again @Jim Banks. It should definitely be the objective for those account managers and agencies who have the capacity to achieve it.