Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Time Delay

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Google Analytics is a must-have tool for anyone serious about digital marketing. It provides priceless information that can completely transform your efforts, and, since it can be used for free, there is no reason everyone shouldn’t be using it to some degree.

That being said, there is a small quirk that new users absolutely need to be aware of. The data Google Analytics provides is not real-time. There is a significant time lag. This means the data you see is, depending on what type of information it is, at least three to four hours old. This can be a problem if you’re trying to prepare a monthly report for a client on the 1st of the month.

According to Google, and various other sources from around the web, the average time lag is somewhere between three and four hours for traffic data, 24 hours for site statistics and AdWords data, and up to 72 hours for ecommerce data. Google processes small sites pretty quickly while larger sites, with exponentially more traffic, may have their data cached for later processing. This accounts for the partial data you may see concerning these sites, so be careful that you only begin your reporting once all of the data is in.

It’s important to remember – be cautious when reporting with data from Google Analytics. The data itself is pure gold, but the processing lag has to be accounted for every single time you use it. Creating reports for clients based on incomplete data is probably a bad idea, so keep the time lag in mind; especially if you want to get through reporting. Always hold one thing constant as compared to AdWords conversions, AdWords for costs CTR etc. don’t use AdWords as your true source. 

Learn more about Determining your data's freshness & Data Limits

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner
2 Expert replyverified_user

Analytics Time Delay

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Great tip you shared, Spencer!

Analytics Time Delay

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How long does it takes for AdWords to get E-com data from Analytics? Right now today, 14:00, I have 7 transactions in GA and 0 in Google AdWords.
Normally I get thet right data for the prevoius day the next morning - we have a lot of traffic, but not the big volume of transactions.

Updated:
Think I found the article I needed(?)
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

Analytics Time Delay

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Awesome @Jarle Wiggen glad you found what you were looking for, let us knwo if you have any other questions or issues. 

Have a great day! 

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner