5K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Alternatives to GA?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I have a client who wants to "double check" or verify GA data against another platform.  I always just trust Google!  Does anyone know of a free/cheap/easy alternative they can use to compare stats?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Alternatives to GA?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Piwik is pretty good and accurate if set up correctly http://piwik.org/

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I often use Clicky for an inexpensive, quickly-deployable "double-check" - its also handy for tracking down clients who can't figure out their IP addresses at home, etc :-)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Thanks guys!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This is a bad idea, though. No two analytics systems are ever going to agree 100%. You're just going to create opportunities for your client to complain about insignificant differences, and Google won't even try to troubleshoot those for you. You'll be completely on your own explaining any inconsistencies!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Michael, you are correct there, I don't use Piwik for my client, I use it for my own analysis. However, even within Analytics you can get differences that are unexplainable so if your client is going to complain then they are going to complain.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
You could also look at log files or AWStats which you can probably already access on their cPanel. That way you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of installing another analytics package, slow down the site, and then wait another 30 days to do a comparison.

As others have mentioned, I would be careful to manage expectations. Hopefully, you have a clean AdWords view without filters.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Great answers and resources!

I agree with Ben. We compare metrics to server logs and analytics. This gives two sources to compare without running multiple scripts, which could conflict with each other and most likely will bring a negative hit on speed/performance.