Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Addressable TV Ads

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

As a digital marketing professional, I know the effectiveness of marketing my clients on digital platforms, like Google Adwords. I know it works and I can show that it works and that it brings a positive ROI.

While those facts remains true, I also advocate for many clients to use a blend of marketing services, like utilizing TV advertising & digital marketing together for a double impact performance. While far too many lean one way or the other, I lean where it best benefits my clients, and if a blend of advertising services are best for a specific product or service... I use it.

One thing that is vastly different between the two platforms is that TV advertising is played to the masses and digital marketing is highly-focused. And that TV requires more money and digital marketing requires more time and skill to implement & optimize. TV advertising practices have remained much the same for decades while digital marketing changes weekly, if not daily & hourly, in many situations. Adding to different complexities is the blend of devices consumers use, and TV content is now online and online content is now on the TV. This means that people can enjoy watching TV content pretty much wherever they go without being tied to their flat screens at home.

So how do we best present products & services to today's consumers?

We use Adwords, a digital marketing platform... and we use TV advertising, a traditional advertising platform.

But doesn't that leave us where we started? And are we not still lacking an advanced means to connect with consumers utilizing streaming content? And what about making advertising budgets go further with so many platform to target?  And what about the waste associated with TV Advertising where my ads are played to those not interested?

We also put Addressable TV Advertising to work!

Thanks to Addressable TV Advertising, we can now show different ads to different households that are watching the same program. This is profound in the advertising world since we can precisely target the end users we seek for a specific product or service, like we do with digital marketing (Adwords). This means we can make advertising budgets go further; they can have a bigger impact with smaller costs... which are win-win situations for our clients. And the consumers win, too, since they get more relevant ads that they will find more interesting!

To envision how the ads in everyday TV programs will become more valuable, we need to look beyond the period we're in now -- where very little TV inventory is addressable -- and assume that a majority of all TV inventory will eventually be addressable across traditional linear TV and premium online video. The industry can prepare for a marketplace where a majority of TV inventory is addressable by taking several actions related to investment, waste, media buyers and measurement. 

Advertisers will look to apply more data to their TV campaigns than just age, gender and geography. Some will want to leverage their own data. Others will lean on media sellers to provide unique data, such as behavioral data on television consumption, in order to target light vs. heavy viewers or movie watchers vs. sports watchers. The possibilities are endless. So, the investments you make in data today will help you run smart TV campaigns or sell smart media tomorrow.

Learn more about the evolution of TV ads by watching this quick video...  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Addressable TV Ads

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
As television become more computerized and more people are watching less traditional TV unless they watch it on their computer or their TV through their computer it becomes much easier to target the optimum audience with video ads .

Re: Addressable TV Ads

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Absolutely, @MikeJohnston.

It's a blended world now... and even more on one as time marches forward. 

Happy Tuesday!

- James