AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

will two same keywords in two ad groups compete each other ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have given two keywords (say a, b) in two ad groups (say A ,B). Will my keywords a,b in two groups compete each other?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: will two same keywords in two ad groups compete each other ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

Welcome.

If you are using same keywords with same match type in different ad groups then definitely they will compete  each other.But if your are using same keywords but different match type then Google will consider some parameters( when slimier keywords matches the search term) in order to show your ads.

I will encourage you to read the following article.

How similar keywords match to search terms

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have two ad groups:

Ad group 1
Keyword: "product a"

Ad group 2:
Keyword: "product a type 1"

Both ad groups have phrase match. The first one has the general product while the second one has a type of this general product. I have organized it this way because it's the more logic way for me but I wonder if they compete against each other or if there is any other issue here.

For instance, how does Adowrds determine which ad group to show when the keyword
"product a type 1" is typed?

In this case both ad groups could be shown

Thanks and regards

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Yes definitively both keyword with compete each other.

If you are going to use same keywords with different Ad group than google will use only one keywords with Ad which have better quality score or high bid and show a message for other keyword that  - "your keywords has triggered with another adgroup" and suggest to delete a duplicate keyword or increase bid.

I suggest you to create separate Adgroup with related keywords so that your same keywords will not clash with each others.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a small addition to above replies, if you are trying to experiment with same keyword of different match type to identify which one is best for you, then you should add embedded negatives in order to try and streamline the traffic.

Embedded means you can add the exact match type of the keyword as negative for phrase ad group and phrase match type, exact match type as negatives for broad ad group.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj