AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

why my text ads performs better than image banner on mobile?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Dear Conmmunity Member,  

Now we are having a test on Google Adwords Display Ads on Mobile. We find that our text ads is better than banner ads.We test text ads and image banner ads in the same campaign,but they were opened in turn.

For example:

Text ads:     CPA $1.5 ,   CTR 0.9% ,    CVR 28% ,    Impression  50952

Banner ads : CPA $1.5 ,  CTR 0.25%  ,  CVR 9.88%  , Impression 103304

We have tried many kinds of image banners,including dynamic gif banners, but the result is not unsatisfying. So what cuase this? 

Some other questions:

1. Why the CTR of image banner ad is so low? (actually, the text ads of Google Adwords on mobile is "1.5 click" and image ads is only 1 click, so logically this is counterintuitive,right?)

2. We design a good image banner, why there is a so big difference between text ads and banner ads on CVR? 

Thank you

Sophie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why my text ads performs better than image banner on mobile?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You are saying that these banners run in the same campaign as the text ads, but do they use the same targeting , are they in the same Ad group with the text ads or separately ?

Are you using device selection in the Display Campaign to show Ads just on certain devices?

IF not In the Ads tab , please use the button Segment and select "Device" to view how many times each of the Ads was clicked on mobiles or on tablets or on desktops. 

1. Low CTR for banners can be caused by bidding. I would recomend to select the campaign to view ad groups and to activate the custom column "Relative CTR" . If all banners are in their own ad group separated from Text ads, you should see if the "Relative CTR" is below 1 , then it means that it is low compared to competitors. If it is above 1, then you have nothing to worry about.

2. The difference could be because of the small screens, while text ads get resized to fit the screen, banners could require scrolling to view the entire content. If the banner size is 150 Kb and the phone has slow internet, the banner could load after 10 seconds x 15 Kb / second, thus the user cannot see it, for example. Try to make very small Kb size banners.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The reasons for CTR with banner ads compare to text ads could be attributed to better ad-copy of the text ads, or not  having the common sizes of banners. (So they don't compete in the auction as frequent as text ads.) Or the bid on the banner ads is not high enough - resulting in low impressions. (The CPC on banners is usually  higher)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello,
thanks for your reply.
1. yes, they used the same targeting, and they are in the same ad group.
2. yes, all our ads are showing on mobile phone and tablet.
3. I do not think that the low CTR is caused by bid ,because our impression is enough. We have over 0.1 million impressions during four days.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello,
thanks for your reply.
1.Our ads size is ok. It is the standard size of mobile banner (320*60 or 640*100). And we also see some of our ads displaying on mobile. It was displayed in a standard size.
2. Almost all our ads are displayed at over 10 thousand impressions. so maybe it is not caused by bidding.

Thanks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Please share the data from Segment - Device for text ads compared to banners. Maybe banners are displayed more on Mobiles instead of Tablets, and the small screens are not big enough to display your entire banners.

I would suggest trying the new feature bidding CPM for "viewable impressions" in a new campaign just for banners. You get charged by 1000 viewable impressions, and multiple signals are used for this : at least 50% of the Ad must be on the screen and at least 1 second.

This way your impression count for banners will probably decrease , and the CTR could increase if the clicks are almost the same for less impressions. Read more from here :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/12/just-in-time-for-holidays-viewability.html#GoogleDisplayNetwork

If currently you have banners and text ads in the same Ad Group I would suggest separating them in 2 ad groups, one for text ads and one for banners, with different ad group bids.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Don't you have banners in all sizes available?

This could explain the issue: If you don't have the correct banner size,  your ad might not be shown (on a given web page)  because the correct banner size is missing. (Text ads have only one size, and could  fit all "text ad slots")

What is the average position of the banners and the text ads?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much Adrian~
Yes,the text ad and banner ads are really displayed on different devices. All the text ads are displayed on mobile, and banner ads, some of them are on mobile, and others on tablets. Those banner ads on tablets CTR are always very low.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Have a good weekend.
Sophie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Adrian,
Our objective is to bring installations, and now we are using CPA ( Click Per Acquisition). CPM maybe not meet our needs.

Other problem is that whether we need to choose the device when we set bannner ads and text ads in different two groups. As I said in last reply, all the text ads displayed on mobile, and banner ads displayed on tablet & mobile . Did we need to put all our banner ads on mobile or all on tablet. Generally, which device is better for banner ads?
Thanks!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Problem 1 - what banner sizes to use

You mentioned only 2 banner sizes, and one of them is not even found in the Specs for AdWords banners, the 640 x 100. Does this banner receive impressions ?

You can find all sizes described here after expanding "Specs for image ads on ....."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en

The most popular banner on tablets should be 300 x 250 and on mobiles 320 x 50.

Like Moshe recommended, creating all sizes of supported banners, will enable you to receive more traffic.

Problem 2 - how to group banners by device

In order to track performance differently between tablet devices and mobile devices, I would suggest the following :

Create 2 campaigns, one for big banners and text ads , aimed at devices from the category Tablet ( unfortunately you have to hand pick them from the list) and one campaign with "mobile size banners" and again text ads, this campaign targeted at GDN but only for mobile devices from the list.

Problem 3 : using viewable CPM

From what I have seen, this type of campaign has a CTR of around 0.1 % and when I have set the minimum CPM bid for my country, 0.25 $, I received around 3000 impressions and 2-3 clicks for this minimum bid, so I am pleased with the results.

You can test this type of campaign with the minimum bid and a small daily budget , I think the CPA will be good.

Problem 4 : your goal is to achieve conversions, you are using the CPA bid, why the GDN ?

Do you also have a Search Network campaign ? The Display network campaign does not reflect intention to buy as much as Search.

Also you could use remarketing in the Display campaign, because clicks would come from users who already know your site and could be a step closer to make an order or inquiry.