AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

why is my ppc campaign sending users to the wrong destination page?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I had a dedicated landing page for an Adwords PPC campaign for one of my clients. In early March, we developed a new landing page that was more optimised for conversion than the previous page... we adjusted our PPC campaigns and ordered new ads directing to the new landing page URL. The new landing page has been getting great traffic and a much better conversion rate, but the strange thing is that users seem to somehow still be accessing the old page..?? There are no links to the old landing page on the site domain, and Ive tripple checked my adwords destination addresses.. yet Analytics has shown 20 unique pageviews of the old page since we stopped using it.... I realise that some users have bookmarked the page, but Analytics is telling me that the bulk of the traffic is coming from Adwords campaigns, even though they are set to direct to the new URL... we're completely baffled by this one.. thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CubicIce
September 2015

Re: why is my ppc campaign sending users to the wrong destination page

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi CubicIce,

I have no idea why users are going to the wrong page. Bookmarks could be the answer.

Since your new page performs better and you have no internal links to the landing page in question, why not do a 301 re-direct on the old page to the new page? Whenever I create a new landing page to replace an existing page, I do this as a matter of routine.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it might achieve your goal.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CubicIce,

If you have keyword level destination URLs that will override your ad level URLs. You may still have keyword level destination URLs in your campaigns, please check.

Just a thought,

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Deepak

thanks for the info! I would have never thought to look for keyword-level destination URLs, though unfortunately it isn't the case in this situation. There are no destination URLs assigned at keyword level
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CubicIce
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi CubicIce,

I have no idea why users are going to the wrong page. Bookmarks could be the answer.

Since your new page performs better and you have no internal links to the landing page in question, why not do a 301 re-direct on the old page to the new page? Whenever I create a new landing page to replace an existing page, I do this as a matter of routine.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it might achieve your goal.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pete

Thanks for the help, will definately do that, possibly make it a routine situation aswel, im not too bothered with the mystery of what's happening.. as long as my users land up where i want them to Smiley Happy