AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

which ad position is better? side or bottom? and which one cost more?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know that the top position is on the top of the page , but how about side and bottom? which one is better?  

Thank you for all the answers I've got alreadly , but,maybe i should change my question as "which position cost more? side or bottom? " then i will clear that if i want to change the position , i would have to increace the bid or decrease the bid....

I am so glad that i've got so many replies, and here I would like to post something i've found recently, and this may explains my own problem——the answer is "bottom" ranks last in an ad auction. Yes! What i was looking for is " side VS bottom, which rank higher on a same page?  very sorry for my unclear description before,which may lead to an misunderstanding,  please forgive my poor English Smiley Wink

"When you increase your bid, your ad will generally show up on the first page in more auctions, particularly when using board match. Since you weren’t bidding enough to appear in those auctions originally, your ad will tend to come in at the bottom of the first page in those new auctions."

quote from : http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/04/understanding-average-position-metric.html

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: which ad position is better? side or bottom? and which one cost mo

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi luistran,

There is no correct answer for this question unfortunately as everyone's campaigns are different.

The best ad position in my opinion is generally the one that gives me the best ROI. In some industries certain advertisers are keen to always be in the top positions but this can inflate the CPC's and the ROI can drop if you want to compete with them. I have in some cases dropped the ad position to 3-5 from the top slots and been able to save around 50% on the CPC's while increasing the conversion rate. You can sometimes get a lot of browsers clicking on top ads which can lower the conversion rates.

I have had accounts where we needed to be in the top 3 to make it work well, but this isn't always the case. The only thing you can do is actually test it for yourself to see what works for you.

You could maybe look into using campaign experiments and increasing/decreasing bids 25% for a while and see what effect this has on your campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Luistran,

I have found the ads on the side perform (CTR) much better than the ads placed at the bottom (this is my personall opinion, Google says exactly the opposite).

Check the performance of your ads in different position. But the problem here is that you don't have any control on where Google will show your ads. At times you will find your ads at the bottom of the page (not on top or side) even if you are the only advertiser appearing in search results.

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe Bottom is Better place when your Ad Text not seems like too pithy. Side is better place when you mention features/benefit into your Ad Text.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you , purefuzz, i like the experiment idea , will have a try 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Info wrote:

Hi Luistran,

I have found the ads on the side perform (CTR) much better than the ads placed at the bottom (this is my personall opinion, Google says exactly the opposite).

Check the performance of your ads in different position. But the problem here is that you don't have any control on where Google will show your ads. At times you will find your ads at the bottom of the page (not on top or side) even if you are the only advertiser appearing in search results.

Deepak

"google says exactly the opposite?"  where did you get this ? would you pls show me the reference link?

Top Contributor
# 7

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
THANK YOU

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

One of the ways to test this is to use the Experiment function in AdWords (this is within settings at the bottom)

By testing different bid levels you will find out hoe the bid increases affect the average ad position. Provided you are then also tracking conversions you will see how the ad position affects the conversion rate and the cost per conversion. As Scotty points out at the outset you need to find the sweet spot that works for you in terms of how much a conversion is worth to you alongside how much it costs you to get that conversion.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Info!

Interesting blog post from Google on the positions--- Top vs Other - where other is just "not Top" - that seems less than the depth of data we've come to expect from Google!

I must confess I find it hard to believe (gut feeling only - no real data) that ads at the bottom will perform better than ads on the side.

I've looked at a couple of my keyword ad position reports and don't see any reports for "Bottom" - still only top and side.

What I DO see, however, is top position 4 - where I thought there were a maximum of three - could this actually be bottom position 1 - and, if so, why can it not be correctly named?