AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

what to do with Adwords Ads / Campaigns in case of Domain Migration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community Members,

one of my clients decided to change domain name in order to benefit the advantages of ccTLD.

He wants to migrate the website from a .com domain to a country specific domain (example: from domain.com to domain.de).

Please note that the only thing that changes in the website is just the domain name and the IP address. Anything else remain the same including all pages / content of the website. After the migration is completed, we will setup a 301 permanent redirect from the .com domain to the .de domain to inform bots that the website has moved to another location.

Now.. with reference to the Adwords campaign, current ads point to the .com domain. My goal is to complete the migration without possibly losing quality score.

What does the community suggest between these options or do you have better solutions:

OPTION 1

Delete existing campaigns pointing to the .com domain; after that, create brand new campaigns pointing to the .de domain. NOTE: in this case, I will totally lose history, CTR, quality score, etc. This solution doesn't seem good to me at all, but at least I will not risk to fall in double-serving at any given time.

OPTION 2

Simply edit exising ads by changing URL from .com to .de. NOTE: in this case, ads should be approved a second time. Will I lose quality score? Will my ads risk to end up in double serving?

Can you recommend your best practices for managing ads in case of domain migration?

Also, do you recommend I pause the campaigns during the migration?

Thank you all for your feedback!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: what to do with Adwords Ads / Campaigns in case of Domain Migratio

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Check this discussion on the topic;
Which is better: changing the destination URL or doing a 301 redirect

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Which-is-better-changing-the-destination-URL-or-d...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: what to do with Adwords Ads / Campaigns in case of Domain Migratio

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Check this discussion on the topic;
Which is better: changing the destination URL or doing a 301 redirect

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Which-is-better-changing-the-destination-URL-or-d...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’