AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

what is the recommended number of ads to create in ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what is the recommended number of ads to create in ad groups

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Peggy,

For me, it depends on the campaign: 

- New search campagaigns: 2 ads max per ad group

- Mature search campaigns: 4 ads max 

- Display campaigns: no real limits (I tend to have around 5 to 10 running at all times)

Explanations: 

- New search campaigns: Because I'm one of those who care about my quality scores, I don't want to dilute my CTR by having too many ads. The 2 ads will be very different from each other and I'll be testing a different angle in messaging.

- Mature search campaigns: These are campaigns that have alot of historical data. The 4 ads will generally be very similar with minor differences. Sometimes I will have one ad that is copied 3 times and 1 ad that is very different, this way the last ad won't negatively impact the ad group too much if it's a loser.

- Display campaigns: they are treated differently in terms of CTR and quality score by google (they have no "visible" quality score), you can have as many as you want. 

Hope tat helps. Would love to hear how others treat ads in their ad groups.

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much! I'm following your strategy & will post updates as this campaign matures

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Peggy, I'm afraid I have to disagree with Chris' advice - there is no "fixed" right or wrong number for Ads in an Ad Group. I would suggest that you create "as many as makes sense" for your Group.  Some businesses / keywords will lend themselves to a greater number of Ad variations, others will suggest only one or two; it all depends upon the business.

would say, strongly, that you should never have fewer than 2 Ads per Group.  Even if you think you have the perfect Ad, there's always going to be room for improvement and experimentation.

I would also suggest that by the time you get to double figures in Ads per Ad Group, you should probably be thinking about splitting the Ad Group into smaller segments.

To be honest, I'd actually suggest the exact opposite to what Chris has said.  A new Account is where I'd expect the greater number of Ad Variations since it is here where you're "testing the water" and looking for what works the best.  Choosing only 2 variations severely limits your options and may blind you to a very worthwhile copy.  Equally, in a mature Account I'd expect fewer Ad variations since here you've done the research and found the Ad copy that works well for you, requiring that you have fewer experimental Ads.

Personally, my view is that you should start with as many Ads as make sense given your business.  If you think you need more than 10 or so, think about your Group structure as it's possible you're not tightly focused enough.  Rotate the Ads evenly, examine their performance over 2 to 3 weeks or more, then adjust to retain the higher performance Ads, merging and pausing/deleting as necessary.  In most cases you'll find that mature Accounts have fewer Ads than new Accounts, though I'd always caution against having just one Ad per Group.

Make sure you remember to consider mobile Ads!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon I really appreciate your detailed response. Do you recommend a
percentage of mobile to text ads? About 15% current web traffic is from
mobile devices so currently using that as a guide. Thanks!

--
Warm Regards,
Peggy Coleman
703-431-1547
http://colemanassoc.com/
Digital PR & Social Media Services on
Facebook

*Plan. Connect. Grow.*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Another thing to take into account is how much spend you're working with. If you have a relatively low amount/day, you'll want to stay down around 2-4 max. It comes down to a balancing act between two benefits:
1. The more ads you have, the more testing of ad copy you can do to make the ads better.
2. the less ads you have, the faster you can accrue data to determine which ads are better.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Peggy, I guess it really depends on your definition of "mobile Ads".  I think of mobile Ads as being Ads that have a different copy and possibly destination URL because they're viewed on a mobile device - for example when a company with a bricks & mortar store may want to say something different to someone on the move than someone sat at a desk.  However, you should really be covering WAP Ads as well for devices not able to display standard Ads and, of course, you need to think about your Call Extensions.

I don't think there's necessarily any recommended ratio.  If you get reasonable conversions from mobile Ads then you should have at least two to do A/B testing of performance but I'm not sure it needs to be terribly scientific in terms of ratios.

Don't forget you can also use the ValueTrack Param {ifmobile:} to define a different URL for your existing Ads - that can be very handy when you want to ensure mobile users always see a mobile optimised page regardless of which Ad they see.

More about ValueTrack (the bit explaining URLs is way down the bottom of the page but the whole article is interesting).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Peggy,

You're getting conflicting information here.

Cobnut, I can see why you would disagree. Yes, in a new account you should be testing many many ads… but not the way you suggested, unless I misunderstood.

I did omit an important detail in my reply Peggy. You should be testing a new ad every day. Even better, you should be testing a new ad every 150 - 200 impressions. That's what I do and it works very well when you know how to learn from the previous ad to write a new one.

And no, you should not have as many ads as makes sense running together at the same time. I would strongly discourage you from doing such a thing if you care about your quality scores. Instead, you should test new ads quickly, often and iteratively. If you DON'T care about how much you’ll pay per click with low scores, then by all means, write a hundred ads.

But here’s why I would strongly NOT recommend it:

1) Having too many ads running at the same time will dilute your CTR and bring about quality score problems. Bad history, poor quality scores, soon enough you'll be paying high bids and tearing your hair bald screaming at Google to be nice with you and give you cheaper clicks. Example: you have 10 ads in the same group, 1 has a high CTR, the others have very low CTRs… the high CTR is diluted by the other ads, your display url history suffers, your account history suffers, your wallet ultimately suffers as well.

2) Like Eric suggested, more than 2 ads will make split testing take far more time for you to find winning ads. Example, with two ads, after 100 impressions each, one has a CTR of 5%, the other has a CTR of 2%. You've found a winner in a total of 200 impressions. If you have 5 ads instead of 2, you'll need a total of 500 impressions for a winner. If you have 10 ads, it will take 1,000 impressions.

Now, I’ve put a lot of emphasis on CTR so before someone else comes in to say that you shouldn’t focus on CTR and focus on your conversions instead. I would say yes, make sure you send visitors to a landing page that converts. Absolutely. But if you’re starting out, Google is judging you. Are you a quality advertiser or not. If you give Google what it wants, you will get what you want in return: lots of exposure for less costs. And what Google wants the most is high CTRs.

Hope I haven’t forgotten anything…

Oh yes.

The most important skill you can have as advertiser, the one that almost no-one talks about, the one that will give you an edge above your competitors is . . .

Copywriting.

Learning how to write great ads is better than knowing how many ads to have in an ad group.

Hope you get the results you want.

Chris

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Nice conversations!! I started reading from Top and I was about to accept/support to the solution given from Cobnut stating “To be honest, I'd actually suggest the exact opposite to what Chris has said. A new Account is where I'd expect the greater number of Ad Variations since it is here where you're "testing the water" and looking for what works the best.”. However, after reading explanation given from Chris “You should be testing a new ad every day. Even better, you should be testing a new ad every 150 - 200 impressions. That's what I do and it works very well when you know how to learn from the previous ad to write a new one.” And “Learning how to write great ads is better than knowing how many ads to have in an ad group.”

I have changed my mind and agreed on Chris solution. I hope Cobnut too will agree.

Regards,
Umesh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Chris lots of great info. I'm working thru these tips!