AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

what are some of the most effective ways to use RLSA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am looking for more information or possibly a few examples on tried and tested ways to use RLSA to increase traffic and free signups for a site.

Thanks,

V

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vikram S
September 2015

Re: what are some of the most effective ways to use RLSA?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The starting point is to think about what an RLSA visitor represents. This is someone who was searching for your "widgets" and visited your site.

You may well have been remarketing to them, so they may have seen your ads - and even revisited your site since their first visit.

But now they are running a fresh search - for the same thing.

This tells us a few things (and the order and importance of these will vary from product to product and industry to industry). First, we know that the need to person initially had is still there - their initial search activity didn't bring them to a solution. They are still in the market, and they are probably more motivated to convert this time around.

I have a client that has a long stay apartment complex used mostly by business travellers. someone looking for accommodation usually has a date they need to stay. By definition on their second visit the need to confirm a booking is more pressing than it was a week or a month ago, because their stay is a week or a month closer and they are running out of time.

Because these visitors have been pre-qualified by virtue of their first visit, we can be much broader in our choice of keywords - keywords that would give us masses of irrelevant traffic can perform very well for RLSA campaigns.

Since they have been on your site, you know which pages they visited. So you can segment these visitors based on the specific interests they displayed. For example, if you are a hairdressing salon and you have pages for men and for women, you can segment you audience into gender groups based on the pages they viewed. Or if you sell insurance you might segment on the type of insurance, life, health, auto, etc.

Then your RLSA campaigns can be targeted to these groups with their own specific landing pages.

And speaking of landing pages, these can be more focused and "aggressive" in nature - these people are - again by definition - closer to making a decision than the average person visiting the site for the first time.

In general I find that my RLSA visitors convert better than visitors from my main campaigns - I am prepared to pay more for their clicks - although we must bear in mind that, if they were paid search clients on their first visit, we have paid once, this second click is an additional cost.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vikram S

I usually use RLSA for those keywords which are expensive for me, i.e. if some keywords goes beyond its threshold in terms of CPA then I run that keywords with RLSA so that each previous visitors will be targeted whether he/she is searching for any keyword or you can say a keyword which is expensive/poor performing for us.

My views!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you pls confirm if i got it right by accepting the following eg.

keyword 'abc' has top page bid of 20 rs. but u cannot afford to bid more than 5 rs.

SO u ll have this keyword in a RLSA campaign instead and bid 20 rs to reach users who ve been on ur site and are now searching a keyword which is relevant to your site,

Am i right?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, this is correct.

Abhishek
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vikram S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The starting point is to think about what an RLSA visitor represents. This is someone who was searching for your "widgets" and visited your site.

You may well have been remarketing to them, so they may have seen your ads - and even revisited your site since their first visit.

But now they are running a fresh search - for the same thing.

This tells us a few things (and the order and importance of these will vary from product to product and industry to industry). First, we know that the need to person initially had is still there - their initial search activity didn't bring them to a solution. They are still in the market, and they are probably more motivated to convert this time around.

I have a client that has a long stay apartment complex used mostly by business travellers. someone looking for accommodation usually has a date they need to stay. By definition on their second visit the need to confirm a booking is more pressing than it was a week or a month ago, because their stay is a week or a month closer and they are running out of time.

Because these visitors have been pre-qualified by virtue of their first visit, we can be much broader in our choice of keywords - keywords that would give us masses of irrelevant traffic can perform very well for RLSA campaigns.

Since they have been on your site, you know which pages they visited. So you can segment these visitors based on the specific interests they displayed. For example, if you are a hairdressing salon and you have pages for men and for women, you can segment you audience into gender groups based on the pages they viewed. Or if you sell insurance you might segment on the type of insurance, life, health, auto, etc.

Then your RLSA campaigns can be targeted to these groups with their own specific landing pages.

And speaking of landing pages, these can be more focused and "aggressive" in nature - these people are - again by definition - closer to making a decision than the average person visiting the site for the first time.

In general I find that my RLSA visitors convert better than visitors from my main campaigns - I am prepared to pay more for their clicks - although we must bear in mind that, if they were paid search clients on their first visit, we have paid once, this second click is an additional cost.