AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

view visitor ip address in google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

view visitor ip address in google analytics

I am using adwords and want to check that if any particular ip address is doing clicks just to waste my adwords. what is the solution?

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: view visitor ip address in google analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey anilachankunju,

I dont think you can get this data from Analytics.. You will get it from your hosting provider's server logs.

Also, I really dont think you should be worried about people just clicking your AdWords ads.. google knows that this is wrong and has taken steps to counter this. It has filters that get tripped by continuas clicking on AdWords ads from the same IP.

Google classifies this as 'Invalid Clicks' on your AdWords interface.

However, If you are seeing suspicious activity on your account, you can report it to Google.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi anilachankunju,

No, the visitor IP address is not disclosed by Google, be it Google Analytics or Google Adwords due to privacy policy. You can read the policy details here.

It's only your server guys who can let you know about the IP address and web logs information.

I would also like to add here that receiving clicks from a single IP address doesn't everytime mean that somebody wants to ehaust your balance. One scenario could be that some ISPs tend to assign single IP to many users, which could raise a conflict in your analysis and prevent the legitimate traffic coming to your website.

However if still feel that you need to stop traffic from some IPs, you can use the IP exclusion tool to eliminate them.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey anilachankunju,

I dont think you can get this data from Analytics.. You will get it from your hosting provider's server logs.

Also, I really dont think you should be worried about people just clicking your AdWords ads.. google knows that this is wrong and has taken steps to counter this. It has filters that get tripped by continuas clicking on AdWords ads from the same IP.

Google classifies this as 'Invalid Clicks' on your AdWords interface.

However, If you are seeing suspicious activity on your account, you can report it to Google.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi anilachankunju,

No, the visitor IP address is not disclosed by Google, be it Google Analytics or Google Adwords due to privacy policy. You can read the policy details here.

It's only your server guys who can let you know about the IP address and web logs information.

I would also like to add here that receiving clicks from a single IP address doesn't everytime mean that somebody wants to ehaust your balance. One scenario could be that some ISPs tend to assign single IP to many users, which could raise a conflict in your analysis and prevent the legitimate traffic coming to your website.

However if still feel that you need to stop traffic from some IPs, you can use the IP exclusion tool to eliminate them.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi anilachankunju,

Yes, you will need to look through your web logs to discover this information. But you can't identify AdWords traffic by looking at the referrer data alone as not all AdWords clicks will come from Google. If you have auto-tagging enabled, the better way of identifying AdWords traffic is to look for the presence of a gclid value. All AdWords visits will have that value.

Two or three visits from the same IP address is not unusual behaviors due to price and offer comparison shopping. But when it gets higher than that in a single day, you might want to block that ip address.

Also, add the invalid click data column on the campaign tab so you will know how many invalid clicks for which you have been credited.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You will not see the ip address from Google Analytics. Google Analytics only shows the cities, regions and countries your visitors come from. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
...and you don't see something wrong with that? "privacy policy" - I call Bull@#$@#$. The reason why Google doesn't conveniently tell you the IP Address is because 90% of their customer base would get pissed off once they discover that bots are clicking on their ads.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey US C,

If you really want to discuss this, start a new thread. You can find the IP address by looking through your web logs.

It's pretty simple. Bots don't click on your ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is completely not true. I had a situation where I was spending over $300 a month in clicks without any of those resulting in my phone ringing. I went to Google directly and told them the issue and that I felt the charges were unwarranted. They explained to me how to review and exclude repeat IP address that were clicking on my ads. They do not counter this at all..... and that comes directly from Google.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This old thread has been closed for new replies. If you would like to re-open this discussion, please start a new thread.

Kathleen,
Community Manager