AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

upload conversions with search funnel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am going to start importing some offline conversions into my AdWords account via the API. I was wondering if these will still work with the search funnel report.

For example if I have a customer who visits my site via Ad1 then 5 days later comes back via Ad2, if I pass through the GCLID associated with Ad2 after they have converted will I still be able to see that conversion attributed to Ad1 if I use first click attribution?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: upload conversions with search funnel

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon,

Broadly it depends upon your choosen adword conversion window,normally it defaults to 30 days.

Read more about it here

hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zaidan,

Thanks for the response!
Yeah my conversion window is 90 days because of the nature of our business. So if I understand correctly, the GCLID associated with Ad2 must relate to some form of customer ID that can link the conversion back to Ad1 as well for the search funnel report. Is that right?

My confusion is coming from the fact that the GCLID from Ad1 is never being passed through to AdWords from our conversion tracking script or through the conversion upload tool, although I suppose this would also the case for online conversions... So the GCLID must be stored on Google's servers when it is dished out and they must have some form of relationship between one another (via the user who has clicked the ad) as well as relating to a specific ad and the time it was clicked?

Sorry if these are questions that you aren't allowed to give answers to, I just wanted to have a better understanding of this in my mind!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon,

Google basically add GCLIDs to the Ad destination URL when it gets in action. One can't see that gclid as its a redirect but you can find it in your web server log files.
GCLID are sort of unique IDs and it could be anything but with 90 day window the conversion will get attributed to Ad1.

Hope this helps.