AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

town name exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

how do i get adwords to avoid picking up search phrases with out town names in them (ie i am promoting a local business) without adding all the names to negative keywords, and without excluding all the people seraching in those locations?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: town name exclusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Melody, I'm a little confused by your question.  You say you want to avoid picking up searches without town names in them, but you then say you don't want to apply the names to negative Keywords, which would prevent searches with town names in them.

If you're advertising a local business, the easiest method is to use Location targeting.  Depending upon the size and catchment area of your business you could use Town, City or Radius targeting.  More details are below.  If you service a very small area (such as a delivery pizza company) you're probably better off using a combination of quite a wide Location target (perhaps 50 miles or so around your town/city) and Keywords which include the town name, such as "pizza Brighton" or "Edinburgh pizza delivery", etc.  You'd use both a wide location target and the town/city name to prevent searches for towns/cities/areas in other countries or parts of the same country.  For example, if you simply used "boston pizza delivery" without a target for a country, your Ads could potentially show for people looking for a pizza in Boston, Massachusetts, or Boston in Cambridgeshire, UK.

More about Location Targeting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits