AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

symbols in search keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

my client wants to buy product ref as keywords. Those references include sometimes the symbol /.

In adwords, is it considered as a space or full character ?

For example, if I'm adding to my campaign both keywords (assumption of same match type) :

Canon XEOS/545 and Canon XEOS 545

will they be considered as 1 or 2 keywords in Adwords ?

Tks for your help!!

JC

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: symbols in search keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi JC,

In my experience those keywords will be treated identically. You can still add them both (and they will both appear in the AdWords platform as you entered them), but they will be matching to the same search terms.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Jean-Chrisophe_B,

I believe that if you set "Canon XEOS 545" as a phrase match term and in your settings adjust for the inclusion of plurals, misspellings, and other close variants that it will capture the "/" searches as well. However, you may find it more advantageous to exact match both versions as it would likely lead to better opportunity for higher quality scores. If it's low search volume for both as exact match then I'd stick with the phrase match option.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jean,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

AdWords does not read the symbol or non-letter character, when the appear in keywords.

Google only identify the non-letter character ampersands "&". e.g. "mba & bba keyword" is different "mba and bba".
-------------------------------------------------
For example, if I'm adding to my campaign both
keywords (assumption of same match type) :
Canon XEOS/545 and Canon XEOS 545
will they be considered as 1 or 2 keywords in
Adwords ?

-------------------------------------------------
Google will treat both the keywords identical in your case.
Also capitalization does not identified different. it is the same.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’