AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

smart way to import or apply bmm on broad match keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Is there a smart way to import a list of broad match keywords with all keywords modified (adding the + before the keywords).

Excel wont let me do it and it takes forever in adwords. I'm using the editor as well, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: smart way to import or apply bmm on broad match keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jannerbasse,

Excel won't let you do that because it thinks you're entering a formula. Tell it you are entering a string by preceding the plus sign with a single or double quote:

'+broad +match +modifier

That should do it.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

awesome, thanks!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually - do you know how I can apply this to a list of 100s of keywords? I could search and replace the space with space and a + but that would apply the "+ in front of the first word?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hmmm, actually it's not inserting something in fron ofthe first word that's the issue, it's inserting it in front of all the other. I can't search and replace for an empty spce.

Any suggestions?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi jannerbase,

I fooled around with it as much as I can today. I'm not real familiar with VBA.

I selected a range of keywords and did a search and replace. (find a space, replace it with space+). That all works fine, but I did not find a solution to inserting a plus sign before the first word.

I would be tempted to export it all to a text file then use a text editor to make the changes, then import back to Excel and to AdWords.

Best of Luck1

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

You can do it with an Excel formula. Assuming the keyword is in A1, this will produce the "BMM-ized" version of it:

="+" & SUBSTITUTE(A1, " ", " +")

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just applied this today to a 200 kw list from keyword planner in simple broad. 

I wish they could offer an option to change all match types to BMM too directly in the keyword planner.

[Later edit]

Just to add how it works, you put the keyword in simple broad on column A , you put the formula in Cell B2 and then drag it all the way down to the last B value corresponding to the row of the last keyword this way in the formula A1 changes to every A2...Axxx value.