AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

search remarketing on a button click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - we have a sign up process that is completed on a third party site. The next closest step in that conversion stage is the button that clicks off to the site. Is it possible to add in an Remarketing tag that fires on that button? We have GTM so may be possible via that?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: search remarketing on a button click

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rachael,

To answer your question accurately, I need some clarity here. Once a user has finished the sign up process on your third party site, are they redirected to your 'Thank You' page? or are they redirected to the third party sites 'thank you' page?

I am asking you this because, if it is the first case where your signed up users are redirected to your own 'thank you' page, you can just create a list of users who visited the 'thank you' page and then negate that list from your main list (all the users who visited your website). This way, you will be able to remarket to these set of users who did not convert i.e. users who didnt visit the 'thank you' page.

If its the later, you can probably use GTM to place an GA code and setup event tracking to track every click that occurred on the submit/next (whichever applicable) button on your page. Other than this, I do not believe there is any other way of remarketing to these audiences.

Just keep in mind, using the event tracking route may lead to wrong classification in your list of many users who may have clicked on the submit/next button but eventually did not convert for some reason. This is a very possible scenario that you should consider when implementing this strategy.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rachael,

You can do it inside Analytics by creating a remarketing list for people you visited the page in question and then clicked/not-clicked the 'sign up' button that took them to an external website. Technically, it can be refereed to as event based remarketing list. 

I can tell you how to go about it, but I found a similar article already. Give it a read. 

http://goo.gl/gCdEEU

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks all - this is HUGELY helpful. Will give that a try!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan-Jha

Sorry - one more question. We can set that event up, so that's fine. However, we also want to be able to setup a rule in the remarketing list that effectively says "on this page PLUS clicks on the button". i.e. if we have one event set up for all the different buttons that go offsite, then apply a URL rule that ensures only clicks on the button when on that URL will generate a remarketing list.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You said you need - on this page PLUS clicks on the button.

Here you go -

Create a re-marketing list for the URL in question (supposing abc.html) . So, you have a list of people who visited abc.html. Call it people who visited abc for reference.

Next, create an event based goal. In this case, the event would be click on button. 

Now, create a new remarketing list for this button click conversion. It means this list would have the audiences who visited abc.html and clicked on this button. Call it people who visited abc  and clicked the button. You can do it by selecting all visitors who completed a goal conversion under remarketing type option.

Next, in Adwords, create a custom remarketing audience list. Select custom combination, and again select any of these audiences OR. Now select audience, it will show you all available options. Choose people who visited abc as the audience.  In the next step select none of these audiences and then under select audience, choose people who visited abc and clicked the button. Hit Save. 

This is your final list that has the audiences who visited abc.html but did not click the button. 

All done. Now you have both the lists - on this page PLUS clicks on the button, and on this page PLUS without any click on the button.

All the best !

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for this Ratan. The button is clicked on across various pages as there are multiple 3rd party sites (not just the one). As such, can we setup just ONE google event goal for any button clicks but set the rule to say they have to have clicked on that event on a certain page?

e.g. we may have two scenarios but only one goal for the button :
user visited abc.com and clicked on the goal "button click" on abc.com
user visited abc2.com and clicked on the goal "buttonclick" on abc2.com

Thanks

Rachael

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry - last question linked to the above. Having just shared another 'event goal' with our adwords account, I can see that it says it can be used for display only. Is there anyway to use these types of lists for search ads only?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yes, you can keep the same button with single goal on all pages. But you will need to create separate remarketing lists for every page and then you will make combinations of these goals and individual page list. 

Something like people who visited page A and clicked the button, people who visited page B and clicked the button.. and so on.

About targeting Search Network. You will need to understand RLSA. The detail for RLSA can be found at the below URL -

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan. Thanks for your response. The combination you describe is as I envisaged it so thank you for that clarification.

In terms of the RLSA link, I have read this previously but find it unclear whether a Google event can be used for search not display re marketing. From what I understand the search remarketing is not possible with the mix of ga goal plus URL. Is that correct?

Thanks again

Rachael