AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

script to block IP adresses

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

One of my customers is suffering a lot of clicks from a competitor which aren't recognized by the Adwords system. For example: 53 clicks in a few hours from the same ip, same OS and same screen resolution. 

The ip address and network does change (when the competitor is using another wifi in another city), while the OS and screen resolution stay the same. I would like to write a script that detects the specific OS, screen resolution and notifies me about it when there are more then 5 visits within an hour for example. 

When these notifications don't give me false positives I would like to extend this script to automatically add the ip adress to the Adwords campaigns. 

I've read the API, but I can't find this specific function easily. 

Regards, Peter

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: script to block IP adresses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Peter D

It looks like you should be able to access screen resolution and browser details via the Advanced APIs for Analytics and incorporate them into a script though there doesn't appear to be any way to reference IPs, so you could end up with a lot of "hits" on specific combinations, given that there's likely to be a large number of people on similar setups.

Did you want to do this specifically in an AdWords script?  It's really more of an Analytics question and may be better answered over in the Analytics group...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Peter.

Unfortunately, last time I checked there was neither API nor script support for automating IP exclusion. You could maybe detect the hits but you had to manually add the IPs through the web UI.

Hope it helps
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same problem. There is a limit on the number of IP addresses you can exclude. I think it is 700? I have 2500+ I need to block. When I find something I will let ya'll know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201506/CampaignCriterionService.IpBlock

It isn't a script, but you can "frankanstien" certain IP addresses to be exported into a database connected to the API. Is there a limit on IP exclusions using this method ? I don't know.. Tomorrow I will look on IFTTT to see if there is an automated recipe made yet. I know there are some for Google Drive which can contain the database. There are a few other companies that create automatic recipes also.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Long time no see, but I have an update. I solved it partially by creating remarketing campaigns to exclude (annoying) visitors by google analytics segments. 

Regards, Peter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Peter,

Good way but that only fix which Analytics can record the session, in my situation, competitors using the tool & app to automatic click on my ads, and Analytics not record that sessions (i'd linked Adwords & Analytics).

you can see the detail screenshot here ==> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NAsDSzNLr-1Trgn1mlfhEpcAEBUMYc8iMuDf4S6xAVfyX3G5SgSZOgaSw_pVJkiXpu...

Any solutions ?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This year old thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.