AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

"Value is too Long" error when trying to save a remarketing list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am creating an AdWords remarketing list with many URL's included within the "visitors of a page" qualifier. This is because I would like to market to pages with like content on our site. We are a news outlet so we have many content pages with many different URL's.

The problem I am having is that when i am trying to save my list I am getting a "Value is too long" error. The error does not highlight anything or let me know exactly what is "too long". I have tried removing a couple of the longest URL's but that doesn't seem to work. 

I have no idea why I am getting this error or what I can do to fix it. 

Thank you

Rob

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Value is too Long" error when trying to save a remarketing list

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Rob.

I've tried to replicate your issue and I've managed to include 23 different conditions (URLs), each with a very long URL. Now there either is a conditions limit, a total character limit or both.

Either way all you can do is:

- try to group your URLs into higher level urls that include several of them (such as using news.com/section/europe instead of news.com/section/europe/germany, news.com/section/europe/france, news.com/section/romania)
OR
- create several audiences instead of one and target all of them.

If you don't have a higher level URL that includes several lower level ones but you can find a regular expression that matches more, or all of them, you could use Google Analytics to create your audience(s).

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We usually have groupings of more than 100 URLs. Unfortunately for SEO, it is difficult for us to group them together in higher level URLs.
Using Google Analytics to create our audiences was what brought about this issue originally. in adding URLs to our audiences, Analytics just stopped tracking them. Some unspoken of limit there as well I'm guessing.
The only way I am able to get around this so far is to create multiple audiences with the same qualifier, or to delete the older URLs when I add new ones. Neither very elegant.

Thanks Calin

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello. Talk to your developers, maybe they can add a URL parameter that can group them. Something like www.example.com/one/.../?gid=abc, www.example.com/two/.../?gid=abc, www.example.com/n/.../?gid=abc
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll see what we can do. Thanks Calin.