AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

"Too small to target for the Display Network" message in error?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have set up a remarketing campaign for display only, and I have an audience list with 110 members which I have added to an ad group (display network then +targeting)

Once added I get this error in orange text in the audience column - "Too small to target for the Display Network"

I have 110 members on the list, and you need 100 to remarket on the display network.

Does anyone know why I am seeing the message and how I can resolve the issue? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Too small to target for the Display Network" message in

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bernard,

There is a possibility that the visitors added up recently and the Adwords interface has yet not refreshed and giving you that error message. I would suggest you to wait for sometime and analyse it later.

I remember this happened with me as well recently when the Remarketing tag was installed on the website and the interface gave me error that the tag has yet not been detected by the system. I checked it the next day and it was working fine with no errors or bugs.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is now 130 members on the remarketing audience list and I am still getting the message "Too small to target for the Display Network" in the Ad Groups tab for this display only remarketing campaign.

Does any one have any other ideas?

Please note also that the Display Network list size is 130, and the Google Search size is showing as 'Unavailable - Display only'  (In shared libary - audiences

What are the differences between the two lists as I cannot find an explanation anywhere?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
HI Bernard,

There are two kinds of remarketing lists, search and display. The Javascript and tags for these two lists are different. RSLA (search remarketing) looks for specific code on a product page, then displays that product ad along with search results. Display Network remarketing creates a list from your visitors to a certain page (or any page, depending on how you set it up). You create ads in the ad group, only those ads are shown to qualified prospects.

I suspect the answer to your question lies in this "(display network then +targeting)". That produces a cross section, not a union. Only visitors matching the targeting in addition to being on your remarketing list would be eligible.

I may be reading this wrong. I'm assuming you are using demographic targeting along with the remarketing. That would result in a very small list.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

Experiencing similar issue here with the newly set up audience, which is created by the rule "people who've been to a webside with a certain url snippet". The list is open and reached the 100 on Display but the campaign is not starting. It has been like this for a good week or so. No other +targeting set up. So perhaps the issue is more updating the lists in AdWrods?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bernard,
I have the same issue. Did you find the solution?
Thanks.