AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

"Selected targeting" and "Selected for bid" settings in a Display Network campaign

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

i have set up an adwords campaign for the Display network only with the following targetting:

• Display Keywords
  • Interests & Remarketing
  • Topics
  • Placements

In the tab "Change display targeting", it now says

Selected targeting

Display Keywords

Selected for bid management only
Interests & Remarketing
Topics
Placements

How does this work? 

So, Google will categorise sites by keywords and will then match the campaing keywords with the site keywords. And then will use the other targets for managing the bids?

What about Interests and Topics? I thought that when you choose  Interests and Topics Google did not use keywords and was matching people with cookies (Interests  & Remarketing) and categorised sites(Topics)? Am I wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mg
September 2015

Re: A few questions from an example of how the DN with many different targets work

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello mg;

We are back; we had a great summit;

As for your last question:

• 1. Topics is a list of aggregated sites that Google considers to be relevant to a topic. It's Google's "editorial" evaluation of the site's content. On the other hand, keywords represent a subject (= "topic" in Google's terms) as you consider it. If your keywords follow "Google's editorial thinking", it can certainly be that some of these sites overlap.
  • 2. The idea of re-marketing is to remind a user of your site, and to encourage the user to return, no matter the sites (on the display network) the user visits. The assumption is that a user visits some similar sites to yours, and others that are not.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: "Selected targeting" and "Selected for bid" settings in a Display Network ca

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi mg;

Quote:

>>So, Google will categorize sites by keywords and will then match the campaign keywords with the site keywords. And then will use the other targets for managing the bids?

You are correct;

If you look Click "change targeting" (on the display network tab), you'll notice a "circle diagram", that shows you that the more targeting methods you choose, the narrower you're targeting group (of users) becomes.

Read More:

How Display Network reach settings affect where ads appear

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: "Selected targeting" and "Selected for bid" settings in a Display Network ca

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks for your reply and help Moshe!

Quote:

If you look Click "change targeting" (on the display network tab), you'll notice a "circle diagram", that shows you that the more targeting methods you choose, the narrower you're targeting group (of users) becomes.

In the circle diagram, I can see the intersection of circles "Display Keywords", "Interests & Remarketing" and "Topics". However, Gender, Age and Placements are in white colour and are not part of the "circle diagram".

Is there any meaning in the white colour targets?

Thanks

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I created a new campaign and all circles are now used. (no white ones)

I guess that my settings were not correctly set

thanks

A few questions from an example of how the DN with many different targets work

[ Edited ]
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again,

I still have a few questions of how the DN campaings work when many targets are used. Any help would be great Smiley Happy

Let's use an example of a basic hypothetical campaign for a guitar instruction ad

• Display Keywords: Guitar
  • TopicsMusic Education 
  • Interests & RemarketingMusic Education  (same as Topics to keep it simple)

So, if my ununderstanding is correct, Google will place an ad in a website that:

• Can be categorised by the guitar keyword
  • Has been clasified with the music education topic (So the ad will not show in an online guitar shop for example)
  • The internet user has been categorised as music education (Interests & Remarketing), and is a man in the 25-34 age range

Here are my questions:

1. keywords vs topics: I assume Google scans the sites and categorised them by keywords. How do they classify the sites by predefined topics? Why bothering with keywords when you can simplify sites by topics?
  2.  Interests & Remarketing. If my undertanding is correct, in my example Google will tag a user as "music education". Then, will follow that person and will show the ad wherever that person goes to. For example, in an non- "music education" site. However, if my DN campaign is a intersection of targets (the circles), Google will only show the ad when a  "music education" person is in a  "music education" site. Does that intersection not defeat the whole purpose of following people?

thanks a lot!!!

mg

Re: A few questions from an example of how the DN with many different targets work

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@mg;

Good questions!

I am (as others on the community) away for the AdWords Communities summit.

I will get back to you on that later. (It is an open action item on my list)

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks MosheLTV

Enjoy the summit!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mg
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello mg;

We are back; we had a great summit;

As for your last question:

• 1. Topics is a list of aggregated sites that Google considers to be relevant to a topic. It's Google's "editorial" evaluation of the site's content. On the other hand, keywords represent a subject (= "topic" in Google's terms) as you consider it. If your keywords follow "Google's editorial thinking", it can certainly be that some of these sites overlap.
  • 2. The idea of re-marketing is to remind a user of your site, and to encourage the user to return, no matter the sites (on the display network) the user visits. The assumption is that a user visits some similar sites to yours, and others that are not.

-Moshe

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Moshe .

My understanding of remarketing was incorrect

Cheers

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again and thaks for being so useful.

One final question Smiley Happy

If you combine remarketing with topics/keywords as DN targeting options, does that mean that you will only reach visitors to your site than then go other sites represented by the chosen campaign topics/keywords?

Thanks