AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

"Est.top page bid"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Can any body make it easier for me to understand the function/purpose /role of "est.top page bid" . Because in my campaign it shows that "Est. top page bid" is £0.45 while I am being actually charged £3.64 ( i can not see any relationship between est. top page bid and actual amount.) Is it not misleading?

So far who ever I have spoken to (From Google) every body seems to have only one answer that "its just an estimate" and no body have answer about the relationship/ role/purpose of this estimation with the actual one.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Est.top page bid"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Saeed,

Thats pretty much it.  It is an estimate.  The thing is you never know whats going on in the auction that day and none of data is real time.  But it happens to me all the time, so I suggest that you dont bid higher that then the top page bid estimate because i have seen where my top page bis estimate is $10 bucks but I am bidding $15 max. & I get charged the 15.

Also remember your quality score has a lot to do with it, so if you have 4 quality score and you're bidding $3 but your top page bid estimate is .50C then you are going to be charged more to be in that spot compared to a competitor that has a 10 quality score.  Hope this helps!

PPCSophie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply.

So it means its misleading and has nothing to do with the actual amount charged ( because there many other factors who are working behind the scene to determine that how much one will pay when ad is on top of the first page)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I wouldn't go as far as to say misleading.  Its just an "estimate" so an estimate cant really mislead you because its not not a static number, its dynamic & based on the auction.  I think th best way to control it is just to find a steady medium with your bids & compare it to how much you are paying per click.  Also look into your impression share & quality scores.

I hope you are not too bummed lad or feel deceived.

Cheers!

PPCSophie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks.

I think you are right. I shouldn't worry about this as this just an "estimation"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi saeed,

Are you, by chance, using automatic bidding or enhanced bidding? If you are, consider turning those options off and manage your account with manual bidding.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I would add to the above answers that you need to remember that each estimate had its margin of error,

I, personally ; don't rely much on these estimates, and consider them just as a "first shot"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’