AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

problem with landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

am on my second free trial to get to grips with adwords

I have paused the campaign as I can see from statcounter, when I click ont he url, that the landing pages are not corretc. I change them to the correct page within the campaign but they revert back.............what am I doing wrong?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: problem with landing page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

1. You may have forgotten to save the change after you edited the Destination URL

2. If you are done with changing it correctly still the clicker is taken to the wrong page it means you earlier specified a keyword level Destination URL too. Drill down to the keywords, select the ones in question and spreadshett edit them. You'll be able to change or delete the keyword level URL on the next page.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,if my url is longer than 35 will it not show properly?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Chances are you will not be able to save it hence it will not show at all.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Am on my second free trial to get to grips with adwords.

Never knew that that was even possible ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi TooRoxy,

One other thing occured to me. Are you by chance changing the display URL and not the destination URL? The display URL is not required to be and actual, reachable page, but the destination URL is. The length of the destination URL is virtually unlimited while the display URL must be 35 characters or less. The destination URL is the page address where you want your visitors to go. The display URL is wnat the user see in your ad but not necessarily the page where the visitor will go.

Wow, now I'm confused! I sure hope this helps!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies, I had a campaign running quite a while ago and trying to re-use that, I am trying to change the destination url but it keeps changing back to a another url (within the site) which gives me errors when I look at my stats .ie. people are clicking on it and its saying page not found. Long learning curve I think............!!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Perhaps your site is having a problem with auto-tagging?  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55596

(Possibly) relevant quote: "A small percentage of websites do not allow arbitrary URL parameters and serve an error page when auto-tagging is turned on. Please consult with your webmaster to find out if this is the case or turn on auto-tagging and do a test by simply clicking on your ad. If the link to your site works then you can use auto-tagging. If you are getting an error, you'll need to turn auto-tagging off from your AdWords account (see steps below). Then, ask your webmaster to allow arbitrary URL parameters before turning it back on."