AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

potential click fraud, 0-10% new visits (10+ clicks)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

clickfraud.jpg

Hi I yhavea  new client and their new visits % seems to be surprisingly low.

Over the course of a week the same user is coming back and clicking ads. I dont have the access to the logs to work out their IP address and client isn't very tech savvy.

Is this within the "normal" range of repeated visits or does it look like click fraud?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: potential click fraud, 0-10% new visits (10+ clicks)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

click fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Domingo,

It depends on what type of business you are running what a good New Visitor percentage. Something that requires a high investment from the user (e.g. vactions, healthcare, cars) will generally have a lower New visits. While sites that are more impulse buys will have a higher new visits (apps, inexpensive cosumer goods).  

Currently i would hold off making any descision till I got more data. Right now one user can swing your percentages by as much as 10% and i wouldn't personally feel comfortable making descison based on this data.

You can check the network of these people if you have analytics installed

• Go into analytics and setup an advanced segment that filters for that adgroup/campaign/keyword
  • Then go to Audience >Technology > Network

If it is a single person is from a network that is named it'll pop up in this list. If there is a large amount of traffic from a single IPS I would use secondary elements (such as city or metro) that it is indeed one person doing it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

JeremyL

You think that isn't compelling enough that it's clicks fraud?

What do you think about this?

I can't get hold of the server logs to look into the IP address. Which is a shame because I want to ban this users IP. 

Adwords doesn't make it easy to pin down an individual user, let alone providing an IP address for a user. But I presume the "Returning Visitor" status pretty much ties all the clicks to one user.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi domingo, I've got to support Jeremy here.  You have nowhere near enough data to even begin to start an analysis like this.  You've been running the campaign for what, 4 days?  You have a grand total of 16 visits in 4 days?  No, it's not even close to compelling.

Why do you want to ban this user?  It may be that he's really interested in your product.  It's not uncommon for a conversion to need more than one Ad click from the same person.  They click your Ad view your site, go away and think for a while come back later and search again and click your Ad again, etc.  This is known as the Search Funnel and it's completely normal.

I'd also want to look at the rest of your stats.  Are you looking at paid clicks or VISITS.  The screenshot you've shown there is  showing a stat for visits, which is not the same as clicks.  What stats do you have for the whole site for Unique Visitors?  What stats does your AdWords interface say for clicks?

Once again, above all this, you simply don't have enough data over enough time to make any kind of judgement.  With so few visits you're bound to see odd trends, perhaps especially at the start of a Campaign.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try a third party application that will report the IP addresses of repeat clickers. When I noticed this happening I started using ClickReport. It's done the trick.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

With respect Evan, that just underlines the idea of a problem here and as we've tried to point out, there's nowhere near enough data or time in this situation to make such an assumption.  Neither is it valid to assume that everyone who clicks an Ad more than once is some kind of malicious clicker.  As I've said, it's common to find multiple Ad clicks per conversion, particularly when the product in question has a long time-lag.

"Ordinary" people don't think like AdWords users.  They don't know (or care) if clicking an Ad costs you money.  All they know is that they're looking for something and your Ad appears to be the way to find it.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No one says you have to block every repeat clicker. But when I see a searcher has clicked my ad 5 times in a 2 min. span from the same IP, I make assumptions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

just to update you guys on the situation. Adwords has removed these clicks from the billing.

As you all probably know Adwords updates the search query report about 3 days after. Where as analytics displays live click data.

I went back and had a look at the April 30th data and I saw 50 or so clicks in analytics with very brief 0 second visits (less than 10% unique).

None of these clicks were billed for in Adwords.

The people above who were saying there's not enough data really have the head stuck in you know where.. What are the chances that there's a genuine case where one user visits your website 10 times in one day staying for less than a couple of seconds each? 

We've got about 4 keywords constantly being clickbombed by the same user day in day out. But I guess for some Adwords advertisers that's not compelling enough...