AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

possible to know exactly which keyword in ad group matched a search term?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Under keywords > search term report, you can see what search term triggered what ad group, and by what by match type. Is there a way to know to which one of the ad group's keywords was the search term matched against?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: possible to know exactly which keyword in ad group matched a search term?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi triptrop, a very good question!

Unless I'm mistaken (always possible), the only way you can break down search terms by individual keyword is to run "See Search Terms" for each keyword (by selecting a keyword then choosing "Selected" from the "See Search Terms" drop-down).  This may be OK when you only have a handful of keywords, but could be tiresome if you have many...

I'll ask...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi triptrop, a very good question!

Unless I'm mistaken (always possible), the only way you can break down search terms by individual keyword is to run "See Search Terms" for each keyword (by selecting a keyword then choosing "Selected" from the "See Search Terms" drop-down).  This may be OK when you only have a handful of keywords, but could be tiresome if you have many...

I'll ask...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can tick the box next to a keyword (left) , and choose selected  under search terms.

They other way around is not possible, and I think  a search word/phrases can even be shown for different keywords, all depending on all factors used to show an certain ad for a keyword.

It is something that I've been obsessing about for quite...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It is something that I've been obsessing about for quite some time, and the only "somewhat complex" way of getting search terms and keywords together in the same report is described in this post on my blog.

In order for it to work you need a linked Google Analytics account, beside your AdWords account, and you will only see post-click, Google Analytics data. But you can put next to each other keywords, search terms and match types and you can have an idea of how broad broad match really is. 

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.