AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

{placement} parameter reports top-level domain instead of exact url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are using valuetrack parameters like {placement} in our destination urls on our placement-targetted campaings and but when passing the valuetrack parameter {placement},  i am only getting the top-level domain instead of the full url (as mentioned in this google support article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en). e.g. in one of my placement-targetted campains, there is a "www.somesite.com/page.html" placement. My placement does show up but the url that Google passes to us on the click of the ad is the top-level domain,"www.somesite.com" and not the exact url. We have even clicked on our own ad to confirm that this is indeed the case. Is it a possible Google Adwords valuetrack bug or something I am missing? I have also removed all display keywords from the adgroup to ensure it is a pure "placement-targeted".

 

We really need this feature to work properly for optimizing our adwords account, as the conversion information is in our backend and we need to have specific url info to optimize it.

 

Unfortunately, I have tried getting help from my local Google Account Managers but they have not been able to help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: {placement} parameter reports top-level domain instead of exact ur

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Himanshu,

 

Thanks for posting on our Community forum. Since you reported some discrepancies with your valuetrack placement in your AdWords campaigns, I've asked our AdWords Support team to follow-up with on what's causing this issue. Please expect to be contacted by a AdWords specialist shortly.

Re: {placement} parameter reports top-level domain instead of exact ur

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Himanshu,

 

Thanks for posting this question, I had the same trouble few weeks earlier when I was checking the placements where the ads was served.


I could only see the top level domain in the report rather than the the complete URL of the domain. I have done extensive research and have found this in the Help Center,

 

  1.  When we have a Display keyword targeted Adgroup/Campaign, the {placement} parameter works on display campaigns to record the domain where the ad was displayed not the complete URL.
  2. When we have a Placement Targeted Adgroup/Campaign, the {placement} parameter records the matching placement targeting criteria for the website where your ad appears (widgetreviews.com/homepage.html, for example). In other words, we'll record whatever placement you decided to target, instead of the full URL of the website where your ad appears.

What I understood was may be because I only added the the top level domains of the URL where I wanted to display my ad to the list of my targeted placements and so it was not recording the complete URL.(I Thought). However, I would  be waiting to hear from some one from the Insider Team on this.

 

Prashanth Reniguntala