AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

phrase or broad modified?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to you more of the Broad Modified Keywords, but I'm not sure wich is the best way to do it.

1) create a new ad group for them;

2) add a + sing in front of my existing Broad Keywords making the Broad Modified;

3) add the new Broad Modified in an add group in which I Already have the same Keywords with diferrent mach types;

Also, I know there's isn't a unique better or worse answers, but what do you find more effective: broad modified or phrase?

"tennis shoe" and "shoe tennis"

or

+tennis +shoe

Thank you in advance dear expert!

Alfred_man

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: phrase or broad modified?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Alfred_man,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Honestly, there is no definite answer as to which match typ will work best for you.

But if you are able to identify the delivered match types from your Search Terms Report and can match those terms with your keyword and the match type you are using, you can definitely carve out what's working and what not for you.

So, before you come to the conclusion whether to use BMM or phrase matches, you should have the clear understanding of how both of them will behave when somebody searches for a query related to that particular keyword match type.

Look at this table from Google notes below :- 

Use this match type... With this punctuation... To trigger your ad on... Example
broad match none synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations adopt kittens chicago
broad match modifier +keyword close variations but not synonyms or related searches +adopt +kittens +chicago
phrase match "keyword" a phrase and close variants of that phrase "adopt kittens" chicago
exact match [keyword] an exact term and close variants of that exact term [adopt kittens chicago]
negative match -keyword searches without the term -puppies

This tells you how the search terms will behave related to adopt kittens chicago. Same goes for your keywords which you want to include.

One important point to consider here is that if you bid on all match types in your account, only one keyword (out of all those) will be able to trigger an ad.

So, the choice will be yours. If on one end, BMM gives you more flexibility and broad targeting, then on another end, Phrase Match will be more precise and target more specific group of audiences which you want.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Alfred,

According to me Phrase keyword is more effective as comapre to broad modified becuse of New matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords:

The new behavior will take into account five different variations in language:

>>Misspellings (“waterprof sunblock” instead of “waterproof sunblock”)
    >>Singular/plural forms (“beach balls” and “beach ball”)
    >>Stemming (“single serve” and “single serving”)
    >>Accents (“hotel” and “hôtel”)
    >>Abbreviations (“Dr.” versus “Doctor”)
    >>Acronyms (“NYC” versus “New York City”)

Thanks
Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Alfred_man,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Honestly, there is no definite answer as to which match typ will work best for you.

But if you are able to identify the delivered match types from your Search Terms Report and can match those terms with your keyword and the match type you are using, you can definitely carve out what's working and what not for you.

So, before you come to the conclusion whether to use BMM or phrase matches, you should have the clear understanding of how both of them will behave when somebody searches for a query related to that particular keyword match type.

Look at this table from Google notes below :- 

Use this match type... With this punctuation... To trigger your ad on... Example
broad match none synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations adopt kittens chicago
broad match modifier +keyword close variations but not synonyms or related searches +adopt +kittens +chicago
phrase match "keyword" a phrase and close variants of that phrase "adopt kittens" chicago
exact match [keyword] an exact term and close variants of that exact term [adopt kittens chicago]
negative match -keyword searches without the term -puppies

This tells you how the search terms will behave related to adopt kittens chicago. Same goes for your keywords which you want to include.

One important point to consider here is that if you bid on all match types in your account, only one keyword (out of all those) will be able to trigger an ad.

So, the choice will be yours. If on one end, BMM gives you more flexibility and broad targeting, then on another end, Phrase Match will be more precise and target more specific group of audiences which you want.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj