AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

paused ad keeps running

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i have an ad within an ad group... sometimes if i notice too many clicks and i want to slow the campaign down i click on left side and "pause" ad but i notice it still keeps getting impressions, why does it do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: paused ad keeps running

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Curiouss, are you looking at very recent data, like "Today"?  AdWords reporting is not real-time - it can be delayed by several hours - so there could be a number of hours of impressions to be added on to the figure you see at the time of pausing.

I have to say as well that your reason for doing this intrigues me.  Saying you're getting "too many clicks" implies you're running the Account purely on the basis of spend, whereas you should always (where possible) run AdWords on the basis of returns.  If your Account is running at a profit, it wouldn't matter how many clicks you received as they would all lead to additional profit.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

... im new about 3 days into display advertising but yesterday i created a newer ad but i think competitors are clicking because its intriuging and they want to see what im doing or just people in general so yes they are clicks but i had about 10 clicks with no leads... not sure what a normal ratio is but i feel as if it was wasting money.

Its for a service business... i put in the ad Download your FREE Project Planner to get started today. then i have a button that says DOWNLOAD NOW

....it seemed to increase CTR alot but again maybe people are just clicking to see if they can get the project planner and run or competitors saying hmm never seen giving something away in this industry for free like this. You normally dont see a "download now" button on a service based industry so i dont know if its just people saying hmmm..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I hope cobnut replied your query well.

For further clarification, can you please share some statistics, like after pausing how many impression you have received and how long your ad ran after pausing the ad group !! It will be easier for us to understand then.

Normally it takes 10-15 minutes to effect your ad serving after pausing the ad-group.

Regards,

Foyzul

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Conversion rate in display network is always lesser that what we have in search network. Also make sure that you are proving the same service in your landing page what you are promising in the ad. In your case, make sure that you are giving project planner to download for free when your target customers are landing on your page.

Regards,

Foyzul

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I absoultely am... right when you go to the landing page it has a big button with an arrow point to it (just like in ad) thats says "download"

But i appreciate the advise.