AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

our campaighn hacked?? wrong phone#!

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Some how a 866-829-2243 phone number has showed up on our ad when googled but not with in my ad campaign.

also and more puzzling it rings to our business! We do not have any 800 866 or any other numbers other than our 539 7529 number. have we been hacked? and how do we get rid of this number on our ads.

thank you kevin

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Re: our campaighn hacked?? wrong phone#!

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

thanks once i scrolled down after my post i found my answer.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This seems to be a common theme just recently... this is almost certainly a Google forwarding number from your call extensions.  Look at the call extensions and see if you have this function selected.

Google uses one of their own numbers and then forwards the call to you. The reason they do this is that it allows them to track the keyword and ad which led to the call. This is of particular use if you get a significant number of clicks to call from mobile devices.

You haven't been hacked - it's just Google's way of tracking the calls for you. you can deactivate the function if you want - but you might actually find it useful to have.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

By the way - don't ring the number - you are charged as if it were a click!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, don't panic, your Account hasn't been hacked, you've simply checked a box you didn't mean to...

Go into your AdWords Account, then choose a relevant Campaign and click the Ad Extensions tab.  Choose "Call Extensions" and then edit the Call extension.  At the top of the dialogue box you should see an option that says "Show my ad with.."  Next to this is a choice, to use your own phone number or a Google forwarding number.  I think you'll find your Extension is set to use a Google forwarding number.

If your on an Enhanced Campaign there's no charge for this and they do give better reporting, so think before you change this setting!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

thanks once i scrolled down after my post i found my answer.