AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

opposite of negative kws

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can stop any kws from appearing by blocking certain keywords like -free -cheapest -reviews etc.

BUT

Is there any way you can only show kws if they have certain words in them.

Say for instance you're running a campaign for air conditioning installers and repars

I'd like to basically just see the keywords that have +install +repair in them

so the kw list would be something like

So you would put something like this

air conditioning

AC

+repair

+install

And get a result like this....

AC installation

AC installers

AC install

AC repair

AC repairs

Air condition installation

Air condition installers

Air condition install

Air condition repair

Air condition repairs

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: opposite of negative kws

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

ArneTR has a good suggestion, but it doesn quite get at what you want. Each "keyword" (which can also be a phrase) works alone, not in a combination of all of them. Let's look at your list:

air conditioning

AC

+repair

+install

the +repair and +install could get you impressions for repairing or installing anything from a washer/dryer to your car's engine. That's where ArneTR's list comes into play. If you want to match only queries that include "air conditioning repair", that all has to be in the same keyword, no a  combination of two. I would modify ArneTR's list to be modified broad match:

+AC +install

+AC +repair

+Air +condition +repair

+Air +condition +install

Now, that still leaves your keyword list s a little vague as you can't tell if it's home, office, or automotive AC. But this is the way to do it. Then add those keywords also as phrase and exact match types.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried putting in + already it didn't work, would be great if adwords allowed you to do that.

In any case are there other strategies that can achieve the same effect?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Morecaffeine,

You can use phrase match type as positive keywords.

Thanks,
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi morecaffeine,

best option is always to define a keyword list beforehand.

If you still do not know exactly what to bid on, which seems to be your case, go for a broad match and control the campaign frequently to add exact matches and also add negative keywords.

What you are looking for is the broad match. @NehaGupta: Phrase Match would not do the trick, as it cannot inject filling words in between the word pairs

So a typical BROAD-MATCH keyword list would be:

AC install

AC repair

Air condition repair

Air condition install

These four matches will also match for "AC cheap repair", "who does AC install in chicago" etc.

I would suggest reading this for reference: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

And also to add all of your already stated keywords as phrase and exact match.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

ArneTR has a good suggestion, but it doesn quite get at what you want. Each "keyword" (which can also be a phrase) works alone, not in a combination of all of them. Let's look at your list:

air conditioning

AC

+repair

+install

the +repair and +install could get you impressions for repairing or installing anything from a washer/dryer to your car's engine. That's where ArneTR's list comes into play. If you want to match only queries that include "air conditioning repair", that all has to be in the same keyword, no a  combination of two. I would modify ArneTR's list to be modified broad match:

+AC +install

+AC +repair

+Air +condition +repair

+Air +condition +install

Now, that still leaves your keyword list s a little vague as you can't tell if it's home, office, or automotive AC. But this is the way to do it. Then add those keywords also as phrase and exact match types.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Petebardo,

the modifier would narrow the matches, so that +install would not match anymore for synonyms.

This may be good, but for a term like installation I would consider this a bad choice.

Typical synonmys that a user might search for are:

fitting

mounting

integration

or for repair:

refurbish

So i would suggest DO the broad match modifiert BUT include all synonyms in the keyword list