AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

new product listing ads, use of adgrouping attribute

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In order to target some of my products in my merchant feed for product ad listings, I am using google's adwords_grouping attribute, placing an arbitrary word called FEATUREDTEST between the tags. 

My question is, since I do not have any other attributes that I can target such as brand, UPN numbers, manufacturer numbers, condition etc.. (I am an antiques dealer, and all of my items are unique) I am targeting this adwords_grouping attribute in my product listing campaign.  That is what this field is for correct?  I.e., for merchants you use this field to "TARGET" specific groups of products and it does not add any value to a user's search query. 

E.g. if I am a selling widgets, and am trying to target WidgetAs and my title says WidgetA and my adwords_grouping says FEATUREDTEST, a user who is searching for WidgetAs would not need to place the word  FEATUREDTEST in the search query to find my WidgetAs -- correct? 

thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kicker521
September 2015

Re: new product listing ads, use of adgrouping attribute

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi guys,

Just to clarify something really quickly:

- Product Listing Ads

Keywords are not used to trigger Product Listing Ads. These ads are triggered when a user types in a query that is similar to the way the product was described in the Merchant Centre account.

- Product Extensions

Product Extensions show alongside your AdWords ads, and your ads are triggered by your keywords. So indirectly, keywords cause Product Extensions to show.

Hope that makes sense and things a little clearer!

A.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi kicker521,

That is correct. Product listing ads serve from the keywords you enter into the ad group, not the value you place in adwords_group. The idea is to group like products using different values in the adwords_group field. Then set up ad groups with keywords relevant to that group of products. When you add the product feed to the group, specify the value you placed in the adwords_group as the filter.

If you wish to advertise a single item, place a unique value in the adwords_group (or adwords_label) field.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete.  

You say in your answer: "Then set up ad groups with keywords relevant to that group of products". But I don't believe keywords are used in product listing ads.  I found this link:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454022 

Relevant section states:

<begin>

How do product listing ads work?

Product listing ads use your existing Google Merchant Center (Merchant Center)product feed to decide how and where to show your ads, instead of keywords. We'll show your listings when they're relevant to a shopping search using the information in this product feed, so we recommend you always keep it up to date. You'll also set upproduct targets to control which products are shown with your ads for a given campaign.

<end>

What I take out of this is that if you do not populate brand, upn, manuf number etc... then google will decide the "relevance" based on the item description....so you don't have to add any keywords.  You can add negative keywords but it will use the words from your titles to match user query to your product title/names.  

I don't think entering additional keywords into the ad group on the adwords side has any effect.  My original question was does filling the adwords_group OR the adwords_label attributes have any effect?  Or are these attributes just a management tool for the advertiser?  

thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi kicker521,

I think this is relevant: "We'll show your listings when they're relevant to a shopping search using the information in this product feed".

This applies to a "shopping search", which is a little different than a regular search with sponsored listings. I guess what I'm talklng about here is "product extensions". With product extensions the adwords_label and adwords_group fields can be used to filter the products that are shown with your text ads in your ad groups. In this case, your keywords are used to select the AdGroup and text ad from which the ad is taken, and the filtered list of products is used for basis of selection of products along with the title and text of your product listing.

In most cases, if you omit the brand, upn, manuf number etc, your listings will not be approved for ads.

I hope this helps more than my last post!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kicker521
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi guys,

Just to clarify something really quickly:

- Product Listing Ads

Keywords are not used to trigger Product Listing Ads. These ads are triggered when a user types in a query that is similar to the way the product was described in the Merchant Centre account.

- Product Extensions

Product Extensions show alongside your AdWords ads, and your ads are triggered by your keywords. So indirectly, keywords cause Product Extensions to show.

Hope that makes sense and things a little clearer!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alys, this confirms my understanding.  In my case, I got a "pass" from you guys because I am an antiques dealer and omit certain required brand and product identification info. from my merchant feed -- antiques are one of a kind.  Hence, the only attributes in my feed that would match a user's query would be product name and description.

The product_grouping and product_label attributes are used by the adwords merchant to manage their Product Listing Ads.

That is they don't ad anything to the user's search.