AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I need help with my negative keywords.

I need to make sure my ads don't show for any searches with a particular word in it and I thought I had everything covered, but I see I'm still getting clicks when this word is searched. 

So, how do I exclude my ads from showing each and every time someone searches using a particular word whether it's alone or in a phrase?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

their is often a lag before googel takes you negatives into considreation.

try searching again in a few hours...

Have you tried adding them as negative phrase match?

you could also try adding the entire expression instead of single KW.

Say you sell only plasma TVs and dont want any traffic for people seach for LCD TVs.

try adding the following ones as negative:

"LCD tv"

"LCD tvs"

"LCDtv"

"tv lcd"

"lcd"

"tvs lcd", etc.

hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks!

I didn't realize it was so involved. What about using the + sign? Does that help in negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
i'm more old school.. i don't use the plus sign... someone might help you on that one. BTW, capital letter don't affect anything, so LCD is the same as lcd...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roberta427
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Roberta427;

The best way to find which negative keyword that should be added to your campaign is by running a search query report, and review the search terms that matched your keywords.

Please keep in mind:

• Broad match negative keyword will block also synonyms.(e.g. If you use "LCD display;" as a broad match negative keyword; you probably also block "LED display" - those are synonyms)
  • Broad match negative keywords do not block plurals and misspelling. You'll have to add these separately;

There is a nice article in the user articles section, that summarize it all:

NegativeKeywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roberta427
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Roberta427,

As far as I know,  BMM is invalid as a negative keyword. Enter your one word as negative phrase match, should do the trick for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords