AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords still triggering ads, all match types

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Negative keywords added Nov 13 are still triggering my ads. I added [inch] and [inches] which should mean any search containing inch would not be triggered. Today I found [converter mm em inch] as a search term that triggered my ad, the trigger appears to have occurred on Nov 19. This is not the only instance, just an example. I have the keywords in my Shared Library list of negative keywords applied to all of my campaigns.

Is there any way to actually exclude searches with negative keyworda?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Techmom
September 2015

Re: negative keywords still triggering ads, all match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Techmom,

Try adding the negative keyword "inch" with quotations to your shared library negative list. This should add "inch" as a phrase match negative which will block all search terms that contain the word inch. The exact match version [inch] will only block the single search query "inch."

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Techmom
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Techmom,

Try adding the negative keyword "inch" with quotations to your shared library negative list. This should add "inch" as a phrase match negative which will block all search terms that contain the word inch. The exact match version [inch] will only block the single search query "inch."

Hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you. Guess that's my "duh" moment for the day/week. Makes perfect sense!