AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

negative keywords issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having some difficulties with negative keyords: it seems that the negative keywords which I've set for Ad Group 1, are affecting the keywords targeted by Ad Group 2 within the same campaign. 

I thought that negative keywords worked only within the same Ad Group, but somehow they manage to stop my ads shwoing for different Ad Groups aslo. 

Can anybody shed some light here?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: negative keywords issue

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mrsparrow,

Ad group level negatives only applies to the ad group where it is added, but campaign level negative keywords would apply to all ad groups within that campaign.

So please make sure you added the negatives at the right ad group and you don't have any negative keywords at campaign level which impacts all the ad groups.

Info

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mrsparrow,

Ad group level negatives only applies to the ad group where it is added, but campaign level negative keywords would apply to all ad groups within that campaign.

So please make sure you added the negatives at the right ad group and you don't have any negative keywords at campaign level which impacts all the ad groups.

Info

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
When you add -ve keywords by clicking on adgroups negative keywords then there comes option to add keywords at adgroup & campaign lavel, Make sure you have not added it in campaign level list( right side).

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

The left (adgroup) - right (campaign) arrangement feels backwards to me. I often put things in the wrong place at first.

I would love to see the interface changed so that if you are in a particular adgroup looking at the keywords tab, you would only be able to add words to that adgroup (and not the larger campaign).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep...you were right. I did have some negative keywords set at the campaign level. Thanks for your advice!