AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

more visits than clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hy Guys, i have a problem. The number of clicks from my ads is smaller than the visits in analytics. This is how i check:

In adwords, i'm looking at clicks (at campaign level) and it shows 491 clicks on my ads. Then I switch to analytics > Traffic Sources > Advertising > Adwords, and here i have 570 visits.

From what I know usually is the other way around, visits should be less than clicks, because not always a click translates in a visit.

To sum up, why analytics is showing more visits than adwords showing clicks?

Thank you,

Catalin

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Catalin Moraru
September 2015

Re: more visits than clicks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Catalin,

There could be few reasons behind it. Since Analytics cookie can track the Adwords visit ranging from 6 months to 2 years, so there is a possibility that users who might have visited your site in the past have visited your site again (i.e. the returning visitor) and Analytics is attributing that visit to Adwords because of that cookie expiration date. 

Other could be that Adwords filter our the invalid clicks data while Google Analytics shows you all the raw data.

Find more details about the data discrepancies here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

EDIT: Tommy replied it while I was drafting,but anyways you got the same reply either ways.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Catalin,

This is quite common actually and a very good question. A major learning point for most advertisers. I'll save you from my explanation and offer up Google's explanation instead:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Catalin Moraru
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Catalin,

There could be few reasons behind it. Since Analytics cookie can track the Adwords visit ranging from 6 months to 2 years, so there is a possibility that users who might have visited your site in the past have visited your site again (i.e. the returning visitor) and Analytics is attributing that visit to Adwords because of that cookie expiration date. 

Other could be that Adwords filter our the invalid clicks data while Google Analytics shows you all the raw data.

Find more details about the data discrepancies here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

EDIT: Tommy replied it while I was drafting,but anyways you got the same reply either ways.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for your short answer PPCBossman, unfortunately google support doesnt help much because:
1. I'm not comparing long data range (only 5 days)
2. Is only 1 account linked to analytics
3. I dont have filters defined
4. I'm comparing days that have fully passed (more than 24h have passed to ensure all datas are reported)

Anyway thank you again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think is because of the cookies, but I have to dig deeper

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Catalin,

I'm guessing you didn't see/expand the part about "Discrepencies in Clicks and Visits"...

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, sorry, my mistake, still thou, let's take it step by step.
First bullet explains why you can have more click than visits (and I totally agree because this is usually what happens with my campaigns. If I were to give a number, analytics reports 95% of clicks in adwords as visits, so in my opinion is totally accepted )
second bullet - a did an invalid click policy report and i have only 5 clicks reported. (still over 70 clicks missing)
third bullet - auto-targeting is still on, never switched it off
fourth bullet - import&export are correct, just checked again, just in case
the rest of the bullets dont count....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Catalin,

I wish I could suggest more but there is a pretty standard and basic list of possibilities which you have explored.

Check out the post by Aislinn (Googler) here: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Clicks-vs-Visits/m-p/43214/highlight/true#M1...

You seem to be above that 10% margin and it seems like it's a longer term issue. The best route is to reach out to AdWords Support directly and they can actually look into your accounts for a better explanation.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

-Tommy