AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

maximum number of sitelinks per account

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

According to https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en the limits for ad extensions are

• 100,000 active upgraded ad extensions per account
  • 10,000 ad group references to upgraded ad extensions per account***
  • 10,000 campaign references to upgraded ad extensions per account***

If I understand correctly then each association of a sitelink (or any other extension) with an ad group or a campaign creates a reference. This would mean that I actually can use only at maximum 10 000 adgroup-level and 10 000 campaign level extensions, so I am wondering why there is a limit of 100 000 active extensions.

Of course some extensions might not be used but an reserve of 80 000 extensions seems a bit excessive, especially since some adgroups might use the same sitelinks and thus the number of references to an extension might actually be higher than the number of extensions.

My concrete use-case: We have a campaign for certain products in certain locations. In the sitelinks I would like to show links to related products and/or close locations.If I have 100 products in 100 locations this makes already 10 000 adgroups, so a limit of 10 000 adgroup references to extensions would mean that I could have only 1 sitelink per adgroup (not counting any extensions used in other campaigns...)

A limit of 10 000 adgroup-level sitelinks means that I would need to change my planned sitelink structure quite a lot so I would like to be sure about the limits before starting to create the sitelinks. 

So does anyone know whether one can have more than 10 000 adgroup-level sitelinks per account?

Thanks

Claudia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: maximum number of sitelinks per account

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Claudia,

This is a GREAT question. So I will try to explain this as best as I can. 

The short answer is I would consider rethinking your account structure. 

You can have 1.3 million extensions that "refer" to a certain link, those are called references. So, you are correct in thinking that you would reach the limit with the way you explained that your account was set up. 

Each reference is counted at every level.

I would say try to break up your ads more at the campaign level. Here's why, let's say you have one campaign that uses an upgraded sitelink extension. Then you add one more campaign and one more ad group, each sharing the same upgraded sitelink extension. Now, your account has 1 active upgraded ad extension, two campaign references to an upgraded ad extension, and one ad group reference to an upgraded extension. You can have 1.3 million references.

This way you open it to have more overall "references" rather than 10,000 site extensions at the ad group level. 

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Shanea,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately the actual limit is still not clear to me: You say that we can have 1.3 million references. But according to the document that I linked in my first post this limit applies to legacy ad extensions, not to upgraded ad extensions. I thought that sitelinks were upgraded ad extensions but you seem to imply that there are counted as legacy extensions. Is there any way to create non-upgraded sitelinks?

Thank you for your help

Claudia

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Claudia,

I would suggest you to create sitelinks at category levels or sub category levels. I always create best selling product sitelinks. When it comes to product, I give similar products or somewhere around them.

Example would be - nike red running shoes. My sitelinks would be - Mens, Womens, Kids

What I have learnt is that all products have some type of alternatives which a lot of advertisers dont put up. So sometimes you might have a product which would have a lot of features, but an user needs less features or less details in that product to get it further cheap. Thus if you give that in sitelinks, it sells.

Hope This Helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi ChetanP,

Thank you for your feedback.
Unfortunately category-level sitelinks mean a lot of extra work for me because I would have to group the products and the locations manually - there is no suitable grouping available in the data that I have.
My client also does not have good landing pages for product categories or location-based areas, so going for categories would mean either investing time and money for new landing pages or having a lower conversion rate.

I will have to use categories in the sitelinks if the number of adgroup-level sitelink references is really limited to 10 000 , but if Shanea is correct and the actual limit is 1.3 million, then I can use the detailed sitelinks.

Cheers

Claudia