AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

match type of keyword and keyword insertion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Does the match type at the keywords used in one adgroup play important role at the appearance of the keyword insertion ?

For example:

The insertion code at Headline: Buy {KeyWord:Books}, the searching query is "flower books" and there is a broad match keyword "gardening books" at the adgroup. The result  would be Buy Gardening Books. (propable).

If there was only a phrase match keyword "gardening books" in the above adgroup, what would the result of the above query be ?

Buy Books ?

I am not referring to exact phrase since this is not working anymore because of the closed variants.

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: match type of keyword and keyword insertion

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
It won't participate in the auction from the beginning since the phrase match keyword "gardening books" can't match the search query "flower books" as I am sure you know.

Google still sticks to its Ad Rank formula. The keyword with the highest ad rank will trigger your ad.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ioannis A,

your question look s lot like a very similar question from the Google AdWords exam.

There is a huge difference between triggering your ad and keyword insertion.

Eg.
Ad: Buy {Keyword:books}
Keywords in adgroup: gardening books, flower books,

Search query: Flower and gardening books - Your ad would show: Buy books*
SQ: Gardening book - Your ad would show: Buy books
SQ: Gardening books - Your ad would show: Buy Gardening books
SQ: The green world encyclopedia - Your ad would show: Buy books

*UPDATE: Sorry for the mistake - Your ad would show Buy Gardening books

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for your reply.

As far as i understand your answer is based on phrase match keywords placed in the adgroup.
I am not sure about your example for the "Gardening book" though.
With the recent changes on the deviations of the search queries phrases, (eg mispellings, plurals etc) i have found some contrantictive results on the results for the phrase match keyword "Gardening book".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ioannis, I'll try and bring some clarity here.

When eligible, keyword insertion always inserts the Keyword that matched the search query, formatted according to how you write "Keyword" in the Ad.

I regret I have to correct mvarga's answer... in the case of the search term "gardening book" (i.e. singular) this would still result in the Ad displaying Buy Gardening Books as the keyword would expand as a close variant to match the search term.  However, note it would be books because the Keyword matched is plural.

Note also that Keyword insertion does not necessarily always happen, even when a Keyword is matched.  Ads must meet certain quality criteria, the details of which are not made public by Google.  In most cases, Keyword insertion will happen, but if you occasionally see Ads using the default text when you expected to see the insertion, this is why.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank's Jon,

you really should not regret to correct me. It should be me regretting for not giving a correct answer.
Although from my experience, I had never an inserted keyword unless it was identical - no matter of the match type of the keyword or small errors.
Can you please send a link or case that can underline your statement please?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi mvarga, you can test this behaviour using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool.  Test with a Keyword in an Ad Group using KI and using a singular or plural version of the Keyword as the search term.  You should see the KI in the Ad.  (And to make sure, I've just done this test myself and yes, it does!)

Looking at:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

"Use keyword insertion to update your ads with the keywords that caused them to show."  (My italics)

If the only use of insertion was when there was an exact match without variants it would greatly decrease the usefulness of the feature.  That said, as I mentioned in my previous reply, DKI is not guaranteed to occur and the quality of the match is likely one factor in that "decision".  I would not be surprised, therefore, if a simple broad match did not always trigger insertion because some matching search terms may have a relatively low relevance/Quality score.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank's Jon,

will check this ASAP. So far, I always used the singular and plural version to be sure. Please one more clarification:

KW: +Hotel in +Berlin
SQ1: Hotels Berlin
SQ2: Hotels in Berlin

According to your italics, the inserted Keyword for SQ1 or SQ1 could be:
Hotels in Berlin AND Hotels Berlin AND Hotel in Berlin AND Hotel Berlin? Right?

sRe: match type of keyword and keyword insertion

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Mr Mvarga thanks for reply. I think that the initial answer above was the correct one, since the
Search query: "Flower and gardening books" is more than 25 characters (adwords counts also the spaces among words). So in that case default ad headline "Buy books" should be the right choice.

Further, could you please verify the result of the search query "Gardening book" as Jon suggested below, whom i thank for his participation, with the ad with headline "Buy Gardening books" ?
Thanks in advance