AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

low volume/ineligible keywords - huh?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why does my keyword show up as "Low search volume" and "ineligible" but if I search on that keyword I see lots of ads?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: low volume/ineligible keywords - huh?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Ray-Mobility,

Thanks for your post. The Help Centre has a great article that runs through the 'low search volume' status. Please visit the article here for more information. 

If you see other ads appearing for the 'low search volume' keyword, it could be that the advertisers are using similar broad match keywords which are not low search volume and therefore eligible to show. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Ray-Mobility;

If a keyword is disapproved it violates the Adwords policy.

As for your 2nd question: you probably see competitors' ads  that are triggered by keywords  in other match types, that includes  also your more specific search term. (e.g . if your keyword is "apartment for rent NYC",  a competitor ad - similar to yours -  could be triggered by "apartment NYC", with a much higher search volume.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ray, further to Moshe's answer, bear in mind that "low search volume" simply means just that, not that no one is using the keyword in their advertising campaigns.  Also consider that "low volume" to Google could still be a substantial number of searches, and worthwhile using as a keyword for some campaigns.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

There are some great thoughts here from the community. One thing I would recommend though would be to keep an eye on these low search volume keywords and if they are only getting you very little traffic over a period of a couple of weeks, I would recommend that you pause the low search volume keywords and to try and find some other new keywords that might be eligible to trigger your ads more frequently. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Ray-Mobility,

Thanks for your post. The Help Centre has a great article that runs through the 'low search volume' status. Please visit the article here for more information. 

If you see other ads appearing for the 'low search volume' keyword, it could be that the advertisers are using similar broad match keywords which are not low search volume and therefore eligible to show. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel