AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community members,

I set up my Ad Campaign with 5 Ad Groups. Initially I already targeted locations in Campaign settings. But can I refine location targets by Ad Groups? Because I created 5 Ad Groups by Geo area.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: location targeting

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rauf NG,

Currently, you can only target geo-locations at the campaign level.

To effectively target your geo-specific adgroups separately, you should separate your existing adgroups into 5 new campaigns (one for each geo-location target). Once you do this, you can set the appropriate location targeting for each campaign.  Keep in mind that you can create separate budgets for each new campaign OR use a shared budget between your new campaigns.

Here is some additional information that may be useful:

Potential Pitfall - Location Targeting at the Ad Group Level:

Some people may try to target locations at the adgroup level by creating an extensive list of keywords that target your geo-locations, such as +pizza +delivery +location_description.  This is probably not a good idea though because of how difficult it would be to target all of the different ways people might describe the location.  With the example above, your ads would only appear to people in or interested in your targeted location whose searches included the words 'pizza', 'delivery' AND 'location_description'.  For example, if someone in your targeted location only searched "pizza delivery," they would not see your ad.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: location targeting

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rauf NG,

Currently, you can only target geo-locations at the campaign level.

To effectively target your geo-specific adgroups separately, you should separate your existing adgroups into 5 new campaigns (one for each geo-location target). Once you do this, you can set the appropriate location targeting for each campaign.  Keep in mind that you can create separate budgets for each new campaign OR use a shared budget between your new campaigns.

Here is some additional information that may be useful:

Potential Pitfall - Location Targeting at the Ad Group Level:

Some people may try to target locations at the adgroup level by creating an extensive list of keywords that target your geo-locations, such as +pizza +delivery +location_description.  This is probably not a good idea though because of how difficult it would be to target all of the different ways people might describe the location.  With the example above, your ads would only appear to people in or interested in your targeted location whose searches included the words 'pizza', 'delivery' AND 'location_description'.  For example, if someone in your targeted location only searched "pizza delivery," they would not see your ad.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!