AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

location targeting incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running and ad for a Home Building Company targeting a Building Estate in Victoria Australia called "Epping". I have targeted Victoria Australia as the only area I would like to serve the ad and have excluded all other states in the country.

The problem is that there is an Epping near Sydney NSW (another state) when I use any combination of keywords that use the word "Epping" the ads dont show and when I login to Google to analyse the problem, the Status of each keyword tells me that "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia"

This doesn't make sense and restricts me from running a legitimate ad for the area that I need it to run in.

Does anybody know how I can over come this problem? If I am experiencing this problem with a reletively small duplicate suburb name like this, the problem must be causing many issues with other Google AdWords users.

Can any body help me with this?

Thanks in advance Dean.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: location targeting in Australia

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Dean ; Welcome to AdWords community;

This is one of the instances where a few reasons could cause your ad to appear not as expected. This could result because of country geo-targeting mapping, or because the way you configured your campaign. We might need further investigation:

In Australia you should be able to target by state or territory (e.g. Victoria, NSW, Queensland...etc...) . However; the system is not perfect, due to IT infrastructure technicalities.

• If you target Victoria, you do not need to exclude the rest of the country!
  • Are you targeting by location only, or also by intent (i.e. People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location )
  • How do you test your ad impressions? Are you using the Ad Preview tool? Testing your ad impressions while you are logged in into your Google account on Google.com.au, can bias the search results you see. ( They are tailored to your preferences.)

-Moshe

PS: Have you read the wiki article on location targeting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: location targeting incorrect

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not able to understand your problem please look at following points

1. give example of combinations of kw and geo on which you want to show ads

2. give example of combinations of kw and geo on which you dont what to show ads

Regards

nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Dean ; Welcome to AdWords community;

This is one of the instances where a few reasons could cause your ad to appear not as expected. This could result because of country geo-targeting mapping, or because the way you configured your campaign. We might need further investigation:

In Australia you should be able to target by state or territory (e.g. Victoria, NSW, Queensland...etc...) . However; the system is not perfect, due to IT infrastructure technicalities.

• If you target Victoria, you do not need to exclude the rest of the country!
  • Are you targeting by location only, or also by intent (i.e. People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location )
  • How do you test your ad impressions? Are you using the Ad Preview tool? Testing your ad impressions while you are logged in into your Google account on Google.com.au, can bias the search results you see. ( They are tailored to your preferences.)

-Moshe

PS: Have you read the wiki article on location targeting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

thanks for your reply. The term that I cannot get to show in Victoria is "epping estate". I have it in my list of key words as a broad phrase and exact phrase. When ever I hover over the "Status" it says "Eligeble" but then states "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia What can I do?"

When I select the "What Can I Do" link all it tell me to do is set my location targeting where I want it. Frustratingly, this is what I have already done!!

My Ad reads:

Eucalyptus Estate Epping

New House & Land Packages

From $297 - Call 1300 OUR HOUSE

www.berstanhomes.com.au

To respond to the issues you raised.

1. I excluded the other states beause I was frustrated that the location targeting for Vic wasn't working and was pulling up NSW.

2. I am targeting by location only.

3. I was using the Ad Preview Tool as well as getting a friend in NSW to search for me.

I hope this helps you understad my problem better, so you can help me.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Flux

Is your advanced setting  "People in your targeted location", and the targeted location is Victoria?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

my advanced setting for location targeting is set to "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)".

In my situation I can't see this making any difference compaired to the other option "People in my targeted location".

Does this help?

Regards Dean

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again Flux; Sorry for the delay responding;

I think the advanced location settings of the two "Epping estate"s (the one in Victoria, and the one in NSW ) is the reason of the conflict.

Theoretically, when you set "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location "- people in Victoria, searching on Epping -NSW should NOT see the ad. ( See the example in the help center). So, I really don't understand the reason for the error message you get.

Therefore , I suggest to try to target by location only: everyone in your location (=Victoria) will get to see your ad, even if searching about Eppig OUTSIDE Victoria (i.e in NSW).

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your attention on this matter.

In response, I have had the advanced location settings set to "People in my targeted location" for the last 2 days. Nothing has changed, I am still getting the same issue.

To make sure you understand my delema clearly, I have decided to place a screen shot of an example of the problem regarding one of my keyphrases "house and land packages epping" (see below).

I would also like to draw to your attention the Status on a number of the other key phrases such as "estate epping" where Google has concluded that the "Ads are rarely shown due to low quality score" Due to the ad relevance but I have the words "estate epping" in my ad. Can you explain this also?

Thanks again, Dean

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Flux;

Can you post your advanced targeting settings (hide / mask all personal info, budget , ...etc...)