AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

limit ad display to only Google search

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How do I get rid of Search Standard and limit my ads to just Google Search?

In October I changed my campaign type to Search Network only, All Features. My impressions and costs skyrocketed, I had many clicks that were 100% bounce. I changed to Standard Features which is not the same I had as before the changes. My cost and irrelevant impressions/clicks are still much higher than they should be.

I would like to limit the display to Google Search only. Not "Search - Standard  ...  Google search and the network of search partners, and would like to create simple text ads"

I hope someone can help. This is wrecking my budget and not resulting in increased sales.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Techmom
September 2015

Re: limit ad display to only Google search

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Techmom, I hope your issue got solved.

Regarding the statement from message 7 (and your concern from messages 4 and 6)

"Diogo

p.s. - users can't control accepted solutions"

That is incorrect , you can revoke an accepted solution if you started the tread as specified here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/What-s-the-difference-between-the-Accepted-sol...

"  I found a better solution. What should I do?
Let everyone know. You can revoke the first choice and choose another message as a solution. "

As to how to do it, it is done from the "wheel" button at the upper right of the message box , from there you can also edit messages. By informing you about this I do not have the intention to drive you to switch the solution, I just want you to be better informed about the choices.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 15
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I'll take a shot at troubleshooting this situation. The guidance you have received so far was excellent. You have nothing to lose if you switched to "All features".

1) About "I changed to All Features on Jan 29. The week previous, Jan 22-28 the "other search terms" under Keywords, Details, Search Terms, All was 12,637. From Jan 31-Feb 6, the "other search terms" were 12,676."

You mean under "Other search terms" you have only impressions and no clicks  ?

If you had no clicks, then you didn't lose much, since one of the advantages of seeing a search term is to use it for a negative keyword if it does not fit your purpose.

Currently there is no feature to see what search terms triggered only impressions but you can see what keywords did that.

2) I don't think there is a simple setting to switch off all the "Other search terms". 

Stupid question : do you by any chance have enabled a campaign for "Search N. with Display" or "Search N. with Display Select" with instead of "Search network only " ? This could explain many impressions and very few clicks.

3) Let's try to segment the traffic by mobiles. Navigate to the keywords tab, select for example last 30 days and click on the "Segment button" . Choose "Device" and order the table by impressions descending to see first the keyword with the most impressions. 

Now let's see if mobile are activated , how much traffic do mobiles consume from the overal impressions, is it 10 % , 50% ? Is CTR low for mobiles ?

If you want to turn off mobile traffic because for example you site is not optimised for small screens, navigate to the campaign settings and click on "Devices" in the upper left, then set a bid adjustment for "Decrease" 100%. More details here : link

4) It would help to understand what Other search terms are from the info bubble 

other-search-terms.png

So : the cause for impressions in this case are search terms whith low volume and without any clicks in the past 30 days.

Which brings me to asking : do you have a lot of keywords with low search volume which could fit the condition "the term wasn't entered by a significant number of people" ?

5) What happened to calling the support line. Weren't they able to pin point the problem ?

6) Also you can verify in what locations you ads appear. Some may be irrelevant.

Look in the Dimensions tab ( at the campaign level) and choose Geographic. Then click on the "Columns" button and choose Level of detail and City.

Your Geographic report should show now if unwanted Cities eat up your traffic with low CTR.

If there is a problem in here, you can fix it by setting "Advanced location options"

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Techmom,

If you only want to use Google search, you should edit your Campaign Networks under Campaign settings. Please see below.

Campaign-networks.png

Just like in the image, make sure you don't tick "Include search partners".

Hope that's what you need,

Diogo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you, but that box is not checked. I still run 17,000+ impressions a week when I used to run 500 per week.
The description says "The Search Network: Show ads on Google search sites, including Google Search, Shopping, Maps, and Images, and other search sites that partner with Google." It seems even with Search Partners deselected, Google still shows my ads in irrelevant searches. When I try to find out what keywords are triggering the display, I get a list of maybe 100 with 13,000+ as "other search terms" per week. That total used to be around 300.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I did not accept the reply from Diogo as a solution and can find no way to remove the acceptance.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Techmom,

Please, make sure you set your campaign to "Search Network only" and "type" to "All features".

See below.

Untitled.png

Diogo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Why would I do that? I'm trying to limit where the ad is shown. All features would increase where the ad is shown.
Also, how do I get rid of the "solved" applied to the original message?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again,

If you want your ads to show only on Google Search and nowhere else the above config will do the job.

Note that "All features" doesn't mean you are going to be all over Google Network, it only means you get more control over "where" and "how" your ads are shown.

Diogo

p.s. - users can't control accepted solutions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you. I've set it as you recommend. In one week I will reply with result changes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I changed to All Features on Jan 29. The week previous, Jan 22-28 the "other search terms" under Keywords, Details, Search Terms, All was 12,637. From Jan 31-Feb 6, the "other search terms" were 12,676.
There is no way Google has that many places to show my ads that are relevant to my subjects.
As a comparison, Jan 31-Feb 6, 2013, the "other search terms" were 489!
My ads are nearly the same from Jan 13 to Jan 14.
I need Google to stop showing my ads on irrelevant sites. I'll call my Google ad rep today.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Techmom, I hope your issue got solved.

Regarding the statement from message 7 (and your concern from messages 4 and 6)

"Diogo

p.s. - users can't control accepted solutions"

That is incorrect , you can revoke an accepted solution if you started the tread as specified here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/What-s-the-difference-between-the-Accepted-sol...

"  I found a better solution. What should I do?
Let everyone know. You can revoke the first choice and choose another message as a solution. "

As to how to do it, it is done from the "wheel" button at the upper right of the message box , from there you can also edit messages. By informing you about this I do not have the intention to drive you to switch the solution, I just want you to be better informed about the choices.