AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

keyword clashes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am running a campaign with serveral adgroups, which are predominately split between phrase, exact and broad match terms.

But I am running into problems with keyword clashes. For example

Freds pink bananas on a phrase match are clashing with 

Freds pink bananas on a broad match.

Which is fine!! In so far as I created the adgrups and added the keywords.  But I am wondering what is the best solution?

Pause the keyword that has the lowest CTR/Impressions? or Something else I have not thought off!! Smiley Happy

many thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fredtumble
September 2015

Re: keyword clashes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

It's an interesting question and I think every advertiser has a different perspective in understanding how different match types of the same keyword work and whether to use all match types for a single keyword or not.

Let me put in my thoughts here:

Experimenting all match type keywords is a good idea but to manage them sometimes become cumbersome as the situation you have run into currently. 

One way could be that you start using embedded negative keywords which means that including exact match type negative at ad group level for Phrase Match Ad Group for the same keyword. (Here I am assuming that you have separate match types in separate ad groups). And similarly adding Phrase Match negative for the Broad Match Ad Group. There's no need to include negatives for Exact matches initially.

Doing this way and bidding highest for the Exact match, then for phrase and then for Broad match might assist in controlling the flow of the traffic and I would assume that it would lately assist in increasing CTR for your campaigns as well.

Second option is to go through the Search Terms Report and identify which keyword is triggering which search terms for you. Based on that analysis, you can think of eliminating the Broad matches completely and focus on other restrictive match types i.e. Phrase, Exact and if you want you can try Broad Modifier as well.

Now I would encourage you to read this important article of Help Center explaining how Adwords work when similar keyword with different match types are entered into auction and what preferences are actually matched:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en&

Also read more on Embedded Negative keywords here: http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=23649&guide=23648&page=gui...

I hope that helps somewhere and provide you with some options to think of and decide what to follow next!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If I can add;

I personally try to minimize "broad match" - Too many synonyms behind this match type, you never know which "related / closed word could trigger your ad.

Try to avoid same keyboards in different ad-groups. They compete and it is hard to figure which one would be the one that will trigger an ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

It's an interesting question and I think every advertiser has a different perspective in understanding how different match types of the same keyword work and whether to use all match types for a single keyword or not.

Let me put in my thoughts here:

Experimenting all match type keywords is a good idea but to manage them sometimes become cumbersome as the situation you have run into currently. 

One way could be that you start using embedded negative keywords which means that including exact match type negative at ad group level for Phrase Match Ad Group for the same keyword. (Here I am assuming that you have separate match types in separate ad groups). And similarly adding Phrase Match negative for the Broad Match Ad Group. There's no need to include negatives for Exact matches initially.

Doing this way and bidding highest for the Exact match, then for phrase and then for Broad match might assist in controlling the flow of the traffic and I would assume that it would lately assist in increasing CTR for your campaigns as well.

Second option is to go through the Search Terms Report and identify which keyword is triggering which search terms for you. Based on that analysis, you can think of eliminating the Broad matches completely and focus on other restrictive match types i.e. Phrase, Exact and if you want you can try Broad Modifier as well.

Now I would encourage you to read this important article of Help Center explaining how Adwords work when similar keyword with different match types are entered into auction and what preferences are actually matched:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en&

Also read more on Embedded Negative keywords here: http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=23649&guide=23648&page=gui...

I hope that helps somewhere and provide you with some options to think of and decide what to follow next!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Many thanks for that. I shall have a read.

Both solutions is certainly more complex than I was thinking.

As I was literally going to see which keywords converted, then which ever one converted, if it came from the phrase match ad group, then pause the matching keyword in Broad match!

I am trying the broad match modifier but that is what is causing some problems.

So I am currently adjusting the keywords

Once again many thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If I can add;

I personally try to minimize "broad match" - Too many synonyms behind this match type, you never know which "related / closed word could trigger your ad.

Try to avoid same keyboards in different ad-groups. They compete and it is hard to figure which one would be the one that will trigger an ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent many thanks