AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

include a "standard text ad" in order to use ads with customizes?!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Google phone support could not give me any valuable info on this matter.

Adwords has the following rule:

"You'll need to include a standard text ad within the same ad group as any ads with customizers in order for AdWords to show your customized ads."

But I want to replace an ad that I'm running, to an ad with a customizer (price, from my business data), and I want it to be the only ad that will ever run for this campaign. period.

What in the blue h*ll is the rational behind this rule?

Is this supposed to be a "fallback" ad, in case there's a glitch in the system, and my price variable could not be located?

I'm aware only of two options to rotate display for more than one active ad:

1. display it 50-50: of course I don't want a fallback to be displayed even in 1% of the cases.

2. display better performing: who vouches that the customized ad will perform better than the fallback, considering that the only thing I wan to add to the original ad text, is the price? and If I want to make sure that that the fallback doesn't perform better, should I intentionally write a bad performing ad (maybe even in jibrish), only to overcome this matter? this is ridiculous. furthermore, a bad ad might effect my QS negatively.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: include a "standard text ad" in order to use ads with cu

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting to the Community. As you've said, you will not be able to have an ad group running only customized ads. You need at least one standard text ad in there as well.

Depending on the ad rotation setting you use, you can rotate evenly, optimize for clicks, or optimize for conversions. Optimizing for clicks will show the ad more often that drives the highest clickthrough rate; optimizing for conversion will prioritize the highest conversion rate. I would not recommend intentionally writing a bad standard ad, since the system will still need to show both ads at first in order to determine which one actually gets the better CTR or conversion rate, depending on which you choose. But if showing the price is indeed more attractive to potential customers, then that customized ad will be shown more often anyway.

To be honest, I looked at our documentation and did not find the reason that a standard ad is required. I suspect it's a technical requirement for the feature. But I will follow up with the product team and see if they can shed some light.

In the meantime, please feel free to submit your feedback here, requesting an option to use ad customizers without standard ads in the mix.

Cassie

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Jay,

I heard back from our product expert and the standard ad is indeed a requirement in case the ad that uses customization cannot be instantiated from the feed. However, it still is not a "backup" ad like I mentioned above, since it will be incorporated into whichever ad rotation option you use.

Again, I hope this information helps clear things up, and I encourage you to use the feedback form I linked above.

Cassie

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie,

I'm afraid sending some feedback wouldn't really help me.
I'm running a business, so I'm in the need for a real solution right now, not in 2017.

It seems that Google's rational for this demand is indeed a fallback:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/customizer

As this is what the comments say about a related script:

" // All ad groups also need to have an ad without ad customizers to fall back
// on, in case no ad customizers are able to serve."

You said:

"But if showing the price is indeed more attractive to potential customers, then that customized ad will be shown more often anyway."

The thing is that I really don't care about what's more attractive to my potential customers, in the phase that they are only viewing the ad.
Maybe higher CTR is king for Google, as this is what gives them more revenue, but in the long run, I will not run any ads If I'm not seeing conversions.
For me the only king is conversion rate, and I know what's best for my conversions. therefore, the decision which ad should be displayed, should be left to my very sole discretion.

It really mesmerizes me that the Google team didn't catch this contradiction in the first place. If the rational for the static ad is only fallback, why am I being coerced to display it in a rotation that is related only to optimization, and has nothing to do with fallback?

I think this deserves a public official response from the team in charge of this whole thing, and in the meantime, they should at least give me a practical tip on how to make sure that practically, only my customized ad will run.