AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

in negative keywords shall i put a negative sign or not ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

i am really confused ,  

in negative keywords shall i put a negative sign or not ?

in this section , i found that i have to put negative sign before the word 

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/152317?hl=en&ref_topic=2795941

but in this section , i found that i do not have to put negative sign 

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/152316?hl=en&ref_topic=2795941

so what i have to do ? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akram
September 2015

Re: in negative keywords shall i put a negative sign or not ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Akram,

There are 2 ways of inserting "negative keywords".

1) The first is in the "Keyword" window when you add normal keywords, if you want to write some negative keywords there too, you can do it but you have to put a minus sign to separate them from "positive" keywords , so that the system knows which ones are which. So in your normal "add keywords" windows you can type these 

socks

shirts

-red

-green

this will tell the system that you want red and green to be on your "negative keywords" list, maybe because you don't have red or green shirts in stock .

When you add them here, they are automatically transfered in the "negative keywords" section" , described bellow.

2) Adding negative keywords in the "negative keywords" window, bellow all the "positive keywords" , this is where you don't need the minus sign.

In the picture bellow you can see where you can add your negative keywords without the minus sign in front of them

where-are-negative-keywords-inserted.png

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Akram,

If you are adding the keywords in the “Negative” section of keywords, then you need not put the (-) sign in front of the keywords.

Negative section-

negative_keywords.jpg

But you can add the (-) sign in the keywords list itself to avoid the unwanted impressions.

Hope this helps!

SJ

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thank u SJAdWiser , so i understood that i can out negative key words with keyword list but with (-) sign 

correct ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akram
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Akram,

There are 2 ways of inserting "negative keywords".

1) The first is in the "Keyword" window when you add normal keywords, if you want to write some negative keywords there too, you can do it but you have to put a minus sign to separate them from "positive" keywords , so that the system knows which ones are which. So in your normal "add keywords" windows you can type these 

socks

shirts

-red

-green

this will tell the system that you want red and green to be on your "negative keywords" list, maybe because you don't have red or green shirts in stock .

When you add them here, they are automatically transfered in the "negative keywords" section" , described bellow.

2) Adding negative keywords in the "negative keywords" window, bellow all the "positive keywords" , this is where you don't need the minus sign.

In the picture bellow you can see where you can add your negative keywords without the minus sign in front of them

where-are-negative-keywords-inserted.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Akram , 

No need to put negative sign over keywords, It also work same as a positive keywords.You can put negative keywords as a match type. For more information Go with this link, 

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2007/11/adwords-optimization-tips-more-on.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Akram,

Thank you for this. Another question: Can you combine this negative syntax within a BMM keyword? So, for example, if I want to show up for 'conference call service' and 'TOLL FREE conference call service' but not for 'free conference call service', can I put it as a BMM and negative KW combination, such as '+conference calls service -free' ? In other words, can I have negative KWs at the KW level?

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a detailed question or comment.

Thank you.