AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

impressions decreased

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new and Google phone support are not so polite and willing to explain and help. I don't know anything about Adwords, but trying to learn in the cheapest way possible.

I set up the campiagn in some states with demographic criteria by income 21-30% and I had some impressions. When I changed to income 11-20% - I have 0 impressions in the same states. What does it mean? My website is targeting affluent travelers, which is extremely competitive field. No way to match the millions of well-established travel websites and company. Is it worth continuing, or maybe better give up if I can't afford it?

By the way, how to put a picture on my profile? It should be easier.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antoinette C
September 2015

Re: impressions decreased

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Let's start by saying that demographic targeting (especially income) is hard to target... The system has to get the users' "estimated" income from any source. And unlike gender and age, which  are "standard" information users  provide when opening an account,  income is harder to "mine" based on users browsing behavior. (Though I trust Google that it does its best to get this estimate...)

So, the income (targeting)  information is not available for all users. Moreover, the margin of error is probably big.

My first advice  would be to find another targeting method for your display campaign. (My preferences: keywords and topics)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Where does it say that the system uses any source ? In the targeting description it says IRS is the only source : 

" Based on publicly available data from the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), advertisers are able to target ads to certain areas according to their average household income. "

I think because 11-20% means min $102,001 - $146,000 , these are simply too few household combined with the location restriction you are targeting. Also competition for this segment could mean higher MaxCPC bids.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Let's start by saying that demographic targeting (especially income) is hard to target... The system has to get the users' "estimated" income from any source. And unlike gender and age, which  are "standard" information users  provide when opening an account,  income is harder to "mine" based on users browsing behavior. (Though I trust Google that it does its best to get this estimate...)

So, the income (targeting)  information is not available for all users. Moreover, the margin of error is probably big.

My first advice  would be to find another targeting method for your display campaign. (My preferences: keywords and topics)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much. Yes, maybe you are right. It is too complicated to have this criteria exact. I will take it off and will concentrate on keywords.
Thanks again.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Where does it say that the system uses any source ? In the targeting description it says IRS is the only source : 

" Based on publicly available data from the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), advertisers are able to target ads to certain areas according to their average household income. "

I think because 11-20% means min $102,001 - $146,000 , these are simply too few household combined with the location restriction you are targeting. Also competition for this segment could mean higher MaxCPC bids.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian, thank you for the clarification. I was explained that 11-20% is higher income and 10% is the top. If you say 11-20% is up to $146,000 where is the higher income? Since I target affluent travelers I didn't want to waste my clicks for people who want good deals, and cheap travel. I had clicks and impressions on 21-30% but the requests were from people who couldn't afford my service. So, going up to 11-20% I thought the income would become higher. But The impressions stopped to 0. It was strange for me.
I am not sure anymore, and I will take it off. Maybe better focusing on more important things that I don't know yet.
If someone of you knows a professional who can handle my campaign at a reasonable price ( I work alone from home on a new travel website) please let me know. I can't spend hours reading and not understanding anything.
Thanks again.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) From this link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

Search in page with CTRL+F for Location groups , and expand "How to target a location by demographics ( currently average household income only ) "

In there you will find  the steps of income and the top one is : 

Top 10% min $146,001 , max > $146,001

2) For finding a local google partner this is the official Directory  :

https://www.google.ro/partners/#a_search

3) If you have the time to ask in the forum, I am sure you will be able to setup most of the aspects of the account to obtain profitability.

What Moshe advised you works also for me, relevant traffic can be obtained with targeting keywords + topics and conversions can be achieved. However for conversions I would start targeting the Search network.

4) I asked where does it say that any sources can be used to determine the income , like the example of browsing behaviour because google keeps updateing dozens of features monthly and it is easy to loose sight of an update.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I will research these links.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@ Adrian;
It has been said many times, in various topics, that not everything on Adwords is documented in the help center, or on other official sources. Closing this "gap" and share knowhow, is one of the goals of this community;
Like any other profession / craft / business / or occupation - experience and expertise do play a role (and are appreciated...) Otherwise, science and technology would not move forward. Innovation comes not (just) by reading the documentation....

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure , no problem, then the next time when I find something unknown to me I will ask with 2 variants :

a)is it specified in some updated source (official or independent article) , for example when I know a source with other information like this case  or

b) is it a conclusion from experience, so that the simple answer can be sometimes just b). Thank you for helping me improve my method of learning through questioning.