AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

image and text ads re-marketing ad groups

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Do you usually put image ads and text ads in different ad groups in order to be able to put different CPC for them when you run re-marketing campaigns? (I´m thinking that could be a good idea because you generally  have to pay more per click for image ads, but you may not wanna too much for clicks on text ads...)

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Re: image and text ads re-marketing ad groups

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

yes I always separate my text and image ads to different ad group. As you noticed dispalying text ad is cheaper than image. Futhermore there is easier to check results and optimalise when they are separated.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In a normal CPM campaign, you usually pay more for clicks on image ads because you're competing for the WHOLE AD UNIT. (Sometimes, if your ad rank is high enough, you might even end up paying less). 

Remarketing ads, you'll be bidding for the entire ad unit too. So it makes no difference if it's an image ad or a text ad. However, you should still test both. I find that it's easier to tailor a more targeted message with a text ad. Something like "You didn't finish buying your {brand name} printer with us. Here's a coupon code for 5% off, we miss you!"

Test, test and test again. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

yes I always separate my text and image ads to different ad group. As you noticed dispalying text ad is cheaper than image. Futhermore there is easier to check results and optimalise when they are separated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey David,

You are absolutely correct. Its a good idea to test text and banner ad in seperate adgroup not only for remarketing but for All Display campaigns. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,
good to hear about how other people do things (maybe that´s why I hang around this community ; )

Do you (honestly...) as a rule and most often put text and image ads in different ad groups even though they target the same audience. I mean, it does take more time, and you don´t necessarily pay much more for a click on the text ad then you were supposed to (because of AdWords smart pricing). Also, more ad groups makes a bigger (akthough perhaps at the same time more well structured) account, and that must always be weighted against the benefits of an extra ad group.
Perhaps you sometimes start with text and images ads in the same ad group, and after a while, if it makes sense, split them...?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Honstly;] Srsly

When You use Adwords Editor it takes less then a minut. 

I suppose that it takes longer when you split after a  while. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Another thing - if you put the same placement in 2 different ad groups, the ads in those ad groups might compete with each other for the same ad slot .
That´s not a good thing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

no, they not compete with each other(as the same keywords on one account), in each auction takes part just one of those -that one with better ad rank for each particular auction