AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

iOS and Droid Ad Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have separated my campaigns into regions, (US, UK, etc) and then in each campaign I have an ad group that targets Droid users and one that targets iOS users. I did this by selecting either Google Play Android Apps or iTunes App Store in "mobile ad placements" when i created each ad group. Am I better off having separate campaigns for these, as they might be competing against each other within the campaign? I noticed that my android targeted ad groups usually get about 5x as many impressions as my iOS ad groups. But when I choose to pause my droid targeted ad group, I notice the impressions, clicks, and conversions go way up for my iOS group. This makes me believe that they are competing against eachother for impressions within the campaign even though they are in different ad groups. So my question is, am I better off separating them into completely different campaigns?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: iOS and Droid Ad Groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello peterjoseph88 and welcome,

Are you targeting Google Display Network or Google Search Network for your mobile users?

I believe you are referring to iOS and Android operating systems here.

If you create separate ad groups within a single campaign for iOS and Android users, then it should be fine because both are targeting different users which are available on different operating systems. That's my understanding. (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549053 )

However, if you can create separate campaigns based on different mobile users (i.e. iOS and Android users), then it would be easy for you to further optimize and take different strategic decisions.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I am using Display Network only. Thanks. I agree, since the ad groups are targeting different users then they shouldn't be competing for impressions, but that doesn't explain why my impressions and clicks went way up for iOS when I would pause my Android ad group. Very strange. I think I will experiment by creating two separate campaigns in one of the regions and make a decision based on the results. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!

Pete

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

Logically, it should not happen because both are die hard competitors (Android and iOS) Smiley Happy

But I think if you create separate campaign and choose specific mobile devices under campaign settings for both the campaigns (i.e. iOS and Android devices) then it would become much easier for you to take control of the further drilling down and optimization process and see what works well and what not.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have an idea that may help - as GDN is excellent for mobile advertising there is a bigger craze online - AirPush

I am a fan of Google services and this is one of the first third party mobile advertising tool that actually makes things easier.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Droid is a pretty old term specific to a mobile device. Android is a term which can be used here. Hence android and ios users should not compete with each other and if right way is followed, there shouldn't be any problems.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Ah, I see what you're saying here captain....

You are using different targeting methods, but the adgroups are still sharing the same campaign budget. 

There are a lot more android users, and a much higher android visit volume (all other things being equal). It's likely that the android volume may be accruing impressions/clicks, and eating up budget at a much higher rate than iOS devices/users. When you pause the android options, all the budget of the campaign is eligible to be used for iOS devices/users only, so naturally, the iOS KPI's will improve.

It's not that they are competing against each other as far as targeting is concerned, it's that they are competing for campaign budget, or so it would seem.... Impression share is a key componet to this mystery. What kind of Impression share numbers due to budget do you have for these shared campaigns? The display network is huge, it could take a lot more adbuy to get anywhere near 100% impression share. Which, would make isolating and optimizing these campaigns all the more crucial.

Which devices and users generate the greatest return for the available budget?

Tom